Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How exactly is Ubuntu more secure??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How exactly is Ubuntu more secure??

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Since we are having an English lesson, "it's" is a contraction of "it is". Makes your sentence sound a little weird.
    Touché
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by PCA View Post
    @adam814, I've heard that one too. The heterogeneity apparently makes it harder for people to write a common 'bad' code. I have a doubt on this. As far as security holes are considered I agree to this point, but when it comes to installing programs, isn't it possible to install something that meant for another distro in ubuntu(rpm using alien for eg)? so you could have a common virus right?
    Sure, that's possible alright. I suppose it could even cross certain architectures (i386 trojan being run on amd64 for example).

I guess my post was a little confusing, I meant it's unlikely a software vulnerability will be shared across all Linux machines since they're all a little different. If they can convince a user to install it they don't have to worry about exploiting flaws in software.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PCA View Post
    That being said, I reinstall the OS quite often, because I experiment a lot with certain critical stuff, other times Im just bored
    If you're talking about Windows, I hope you don't do a reinstall from scratch. You can use CloneZilla or PartImage to create an image of your freshly installed OS so you can just reimage if something goes wrong or if you want a clean slate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Because APT has Super Cow Powers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

@Aysiu, yeah, I was talking about reinstalling from scratch. Thanks for the info. I'll use Clonezilla from now on. Also, I think it would be quite useful for me in the near future, I'm planning on trying out Gentoo and I have a feeling that I'll mess up something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Also don't be afraid to install windows steadystate. It does wonders to fix a broken install.
    Phenom X4 Quad Core 9950 Black Editon, Geforce 8800GT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12