Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A different OSS / Proprietary question...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Wink Re: A different OSS / Proprietary question...

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    A question that I have had in my mind for awhile about the whole OSS/ Proprietary debate...

The CNR thread debate seems to be centered on Proprietary software released on linux. What do you feel on OSS software released for Mac OS or Windows? Tux Racer, The Gimp, Abi Word, Open Office, et. al. all have windows equivalents. What's the thought on this?
    I think it's great. Firstly it shows off some serious portability. Next, it made my move to Linux much much easier. 99% of my favorite apps are here. Gimp, OOo, privoxy, gaim, zsnes, dosbox, firefox, thunderbird, the list goes on... No need for windows, and it's gone

Anyway, the only downside I can think of is when some OSS apps are windows only (my bias as a fulltime linux user now). I like mulitplatform. A good chance you can use your app on different OS and architectures, just seems more viable to me.
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: A different OSS / Proprietary question...

I'm not certain if the issue of adoption of Linux matters to me. If somebody wants to use it on a closed platform, let them; this just encourages the adoption of OSS. What I see happening is that people who like OSS and who get introduced to it via Windows tend to be not so leery about moving to Linux.

Anyways, by the very nature of OSS, you can't restrict any single group from using it.
    Eventually somebody will come along and modify the code so that they can use it.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234