Thread: Problems with Intel HDA 5 Series audio

Hybrid View

Beans

Problems with Intel HDA 5 Series audio

I recently received my new multimedia laptop - an HP Dv7. I proceeded to install Ubuntu 9.10 on it and I've had no end of troubles with the sound card including, muffled sound - seemingly only coming from the LFE channel, only stereo controls in pavucontrol, failure to send sound out the HDMI port, headphones not working and not cutting of the speakers when the headphones are plugged in. I believe that all of this will be solved if I get the appropriate driver for my card. I have searched around and sound in particular has tons of posts from many people all with slightly different problems, solutions and hardware. None of the solutions seem to be working.

Also I just tried booting from the live CD and the sound is the same - no 5.1 and just muffled sound.

I'm hoping somebody with a similar sound card/set up can help me. I think my sound card is just too new and there doesn't exist a proper driver for it yet. Here's what I get with lscpi:

Code:
    % lspci | grep Audio
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
    01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Device 0be2 (rev a1)
    Let me know if there is any other information that I can provide.

Beans

Re: Problems with Intel HDA 5 Series audio

Hi, try this. I've been struggling to get my sound to work on my Intel HDA ICH9. At least you have some sound.

Beans

I did see that. It seems pretty intense. I see you say "try" this and that you don't have any sound. Given that I must ask, why do you think I should try it? I mean it seems like a lot of effort and you don't even seem to be sure it'll fix things for me.

As for you, you get no sound at all? What happens if you boot from the Live CD? Still no sound?

Beans

Well that actually did good! I can now here at least stereo.

Pro: Sound now playing stereo
    Con: Not 5.1

Pro: Headphones now work!
    Con: Plugging in headphones does not turn of speakers!

Con: HDMI still does not have sound associated with it. So when I plug my laptop into an HDMI cable to my HDTV I don't hear sound coming from my Bose Home Theater system - just from the laptop.

Con: Bluetooth has now busted. In the past I could use my Bluetooth Headset to listen to content playing on the laptop - even in stereo! Now I get nothing. I suspect that this is because I have the pulseaudio-module-bluetooth verion 1.0.9.19. Perhaps I need to build that too.

As it stands now I cannot use my laptop on the bus to say watch a video because the sound will bother everybody else. I can't listen to it with my headphones because it still plays out the speakers and I can't use my bluetooth headset because that doesn't work. And I still can't use it to drive my HDTV viewing yet...

Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    You guys need to make sure you're using 1.0.23 alsa:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...18&postcount=2
    Please don't do this. Don't point us to some 51 pages of forum postings going on and on about various different things. You mention updating to 1.0.23 yet if one clicks that link it doesn't tell us at all how to do that. It's spits out verbiage about 1.0.23 then points to a forum entry with 51 pages that starts off about ALSA 1.0.22 - not 1.0.23. This gets nobody nowhere fast.

Likewise this thread's a dead end because they state up front and emphatically "IMPORTANT: the 190 series driver breaks ipcm hdmi output totally or partially". I have an HP laptop. Prior to the 190 series of Nvidia drivers suspending the laptop would cause the X server to display things so fuzzy that it was impossible to use. Sorry, I can't go backwards to 185 - it plain just doesn't work!

LIkewise this didn't work at all either...