Thread: Virgin Media Internet and IP Addresses

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Virgin Media Internet and IP Addresses

From time to time, I download files from a file sharing web site - rapidshare.com.

Last night, I had downloaded a few files, but then I got an odd error message that prevented me from downloading another one. It said that my IP address was different to the one that had been recorded on the previous page.

It suggested that my IP address is no longer uniform, and that somehow, and for some unexplained reason, something is changing my IP address rather frequently.

I get the error regardless of using Firefox or Chromium on Ubuntu 9.10, or Firefox or Chrome on Windows Vista. That suggests it's an issue with my ISP - Virgin Media - so I'd be interested to hear from anyone else using Virgin as to whether they've noticed anything different today (Sunday 31 Jan) compared to yesterday.

Is there any way I can do more to diagnose the source of the problem?
    Laptop1: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pi 2515, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD (2 x NTFS parts), Window$ Vista Home Premium
    USB HDD (usually connected to Laptop1): 80Gb total, 2Gb Linux-swap, 20Gb Linux-root (Ubuntu 10.10), 3.6Gb Linux-home, 50Gb NTFS

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Virgin Media Internet and IP Addresses

power down your modem/router, leave it to cool for a half hour, try again, it should work now...
    Comitas. Brevitas. Nulla ambitio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've logged into my Premium RS account on many computers and never had an error like that. Also with Virgin Media.

And my external IP has only changed once in the last 3 years.

+1 to restarting your router

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by J V View Post
    power down your modem/router, leave it to cool for a half hour, try again, it should work now...
    Done that, but problem remains.
    Laptop1: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pi 2515, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD (2 x NTFS parts), Window$ Vista Home Premium
    USB HDD (usually connected to Laptop1): 80Gb total, 2Gb Linux-swap, 20Gb Linux-root (Ubuntu 10.10), 3.6Gb Linux-home, 50Gb NTFS

Beans
    Distro

I'm using the free RS service, and this is an example of what it's telling me today.

Code:
    Currently a lot of users are downloading files. Please try again in 2 minutes or become a Premium member

Please note, the server is not going to check again within the next 2 minutes if downloading is possible again. To provide a fair platform, all user get the same options. Your last attempt was 47 seconds ago.
    Except it was much more than 47 seconds previously that I tried. It was more like about 10 minutes previously.