Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to earn money as Linux developer?

Beans

How to earn money as Linux developer?

Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed in the one or other way. But I think my questions are a bit more specific.

1. Can closed source beat open source?

For example you get an idea for a new program, then you would make the most money if you make it closed source. The problem is that once you release your software there definitely will be an open source project following. Also another commercial project could be initiated by a major company like Microsoft or Google. Of course you can counter that by being the better developer. But to ensure that you 1. have to be very good and be the best developer on earth in your profession and 2. you need good developers that support you, meaning you need a lot of money directly from the start to pay your team. That way your software will always be the best and people would proudly buy your products. But how do you reach this point? How do you know that you are good enough to dominate the open source scene or the major companies? How do you get the right developer? How do you get strong enough to stand a chance the first few months until your project can take on the open source scene or the major companies?

One idea is that you just join such a major company. You might not get rich that way but you also do not risk to lose everything. You earn average, your project can finally start, your life can move on, you could leave the company one day and start a second closed source project or even join the open source scene for some reasons.

But is that all? Is there no way to start from zero and become king of the hill in those days of Microsoft, Google and the open source scene?

2. How to earn money with open source?

2.1 If someone else is owning open source code

If you write an add on for a software that is open source and owned by someone else, can you sell the main software plus your add on?

2.2 If you are owning open source code

If you own an open source project and the community helps to develop it, can you take money for the work the community made?

3. How to earn money as a Kernel developer?

I am very sure that Kernel developing is something special. For example if you got an idea and want to see it in the Kernel, what do you do? I got two ways I can think of.
    The first is that you just write the general semantics and make them public. If you got lucky someone else will develop this, so you do not invest anything into the development of your idea but of course you also do not earn anything.
    The second way I could imagine is that you join a big company that pays you for developing. But which companies?
    And are there even more ways? I would really like to know.

Thanks so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to earn money as Linux developer?

1. That's a question that you'll never get a definitive answer for.

2.1 Read the GPL - you can sell GPL software. Most of the time, this is not what happens anyway; a popular project will sell support services to businesses that want to use the software as part of their enterprise.

2.2 Yes

3. Get employed by a distribution or a company such as Google or IBM, to develop the kernel.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

I forgot to ask: if you got an idea, then ask a company to join them, then tell them about your ideas, how do you make sure that they not just listen to your idea, say they are not interested but still steal your idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

you have to make a patent (if it's an original idea)... then when presenting it to a company dont mention you have a patent and when they steal your idea take them to court
    maybe not the fastest, but the easiest way to make money

Beans

How far can you go with a patent? For example I doubt that you were able in the past to get one for the idea of usernames and passwords, or the idea for a shell or the first GUI. So where do our possibilites start and end?

Beans
    Distro

i dont know what, youre just have to google it... search for patent office of your country and read... or call them and ask (good luck with that )

Beans

I am already reading. However open source is a big sector and it will take weeks to read all the articles I gathered, so I ask the important questions here, so I can work with these infos as soon as possible. Of course I can google them my own, so I understand if you do not wish to help me with these easy tasks. But on the other hand you can google anything so that there is no need for a board anyway. I let you decide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Make an Adobe Master Suite or Autodesk AutoCAD 2010 GPL clone for Linux you will get Money no matter of what...

Beans
    Distro

if i had known answers to your question i would have written it here... i dont know the answers, i just gave you advice what you should do.. since i'm not interested in patenting or developing software and ideas i dont want to google that for you...
    if someone else knows you will get your answers, just be patient...

Beans

I wonder what are the motives of those big Linux developers. Especially those of the Kernel developers. Is a true Linux developer someone that wants to make profit or process?

Can you even get rich with Linux?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast