Thread: keyboard and mouse no longer working in karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

keyboard and mouse no longer working in karmic

hello.

I have a problem, my wife turned on her pc this morning (she is running ubuntu karmic) and her keyboard and mouse don't work, the mouse is a wireless mouse (nothing fancy just a tesco one) and the keyboard is a usb keyboard (again just a tesco one) neither work for some reason, my first thought with the mouse was the batteries, so I changed them, but no joy.

I tried running the recovery option from the grub menu, but nothing has changed, I have also tried hooking up an old ps2 mouse and keyboard, but they didn't work either.

I have no idea why they don't work, I have tried running the karmic cd I have and the keyboard and mouse both work fine on the live cd (both the usb ones and the ps2 ones) I have done some searches but the only sure fire way of solving the issue is to re-install, which seems a bit drastic (and if I'm honest a little like a windows solution)

I would be grateful for any help, I am now running the live cd, just so I can copy my wife's files onto the file server so they don't get lost.

cheers
    " It darkle's tinct tint, all this,our fun animal world "
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: keyboard and mouse no longer working in karmic

solved by reinstalling.
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by techno-mole View Post
    hello.

I have a problem, my wife turned on her pc this morning (she is running ubuntu karmic) and her keyboard and mouse don't work, the mouse is a wireless mouse (nothing fancy just a tesco one) and the keyboard is a usb keyboard (again just a tesco one) neither work for some reason, my first thought with the mouse was the batteries, so I changed them, but no joy.

I tried running the recovery option from the grub menu, but nothing has changed, I have also tried hooking up an old ps2 mouse and keyboard, but they didn't work either.

I have no idea why they don't work, I have tried running the karmic cd I have and the keyboard and mouse both work fine on the live cd (both the usb ones and the ps2 ones) I have done some searches but the only sure fire way of solving the issue is to re-install, which seems a bit drastic (and if I'm honest a little like a windows solution)

I would be grateful for any help, I am now running the live cd, just so I can copy my wife's files onto the file server so they don't get lost.

cheers
    The same thing happened to me.

It is an X11 thing and not a hardware issue but something has gone wrong with xinput.

** GDM does not see key input so login does not happen
    ** console boot and I can startx but nothing accepts key input.
    ** ALT+SysRq does not work either -- this is a strange symptom cuz those are supposed to be caught by the kernel.
    ** I tried to use the on-screen tap-keyboard with same results
    ** I cannot access an alternate console
    ** GDM does not let me login to a console

It seems that re-install is a bit drastic.
    "All government spending, regardless of the motives, uses YOUR money."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This has happened to me too: Mouse works although keyboard does not; apart for some keys: h,f,g,j,k

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sorry to hear you are having problems, however i cant offer any other advice, apart from re-installing, its not ideal, but i found nothing else that worked to solve it.

cheers
    The shed and beyond.