Thread: Using a flash drive as an ipod replacement in my car

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Using a flash drive as an ipod replacement in my car

I have been trying to figure out a way to use a usb flash drive as a substitute for an ipod in my car... I have a female usb plug for the data, but it will not take a regular flash drive.

So, here is my plan. I want to take a flash drive and use a linux ipod interface program to populate it with both the mp3s but also the other itunes crap. Has anyone done this or something like it before?

-Guy
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Using a flash drive as an ipod replacement in my car

What kind of deck do you have in your car? What format are the files? MP3? Are they protected format music files?
    HP G-71 Notebook Intel Core2-Duo 2.2GHz 4GB
    Dual boot Win7 - Ubuntu 10.04x64
    Shared RHEL-5.4 Virtual Machines via VMware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Using a flash drive as an ipod replacement in my car

Its the basic deck inside a nissan juke. There is an ipod male connector cord in the glove, which i would like to use in conjunction with this:
    http://www.cablejive.com/products/Un...Converter.html

The head unit lets you scroll through your ipod's music through the interface, so I think it just reads the files off the files and plays them. If this is the case, all i have to do is emulate the file structure...
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson