Thread: text "smeared" when scrolling

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

text "smeared" when scrolling

Recently, I'm getting an annoying problem: When I scroll quickly the text smears or duplicates itself -- doesn't happen with all applications. I haven't had this problem until I started to use OpenGL compositing with my NVidia card. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Beans

Re: text "smeared" when scrolling

I've had this once in an svn version of Konversation I tried, but it disappeared when I downgraded back to the repository version. I made a screencast of it just for archival purposes - see attachment.

Does that look like what you're experiencing?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    I've had this once in an svn version of Konversation I tried, but it disappeared when I downgraded back to the repository version. I made a screencast of it just for archival purposes - see attachment.

Does that look like what you're experiencing?
    This is similar to the problem that I have... although there is some variance from what you have shown. I tried changing all the settings in the advanced tab... short of removing the OpenGL -- nothing helped. I also looked for NVidia config settings, but didn't find anything useful.

Now I have switch to the Enlightenment (e17) window manager. And I have enable xcompmgr with the -c option (-a Use automatic server-side compositing. Faster, but no special effects.) This works fine -- with some of the other options I also get "smearing".

I am wondering if there are similar settings that can be set in the KDE compositing? Or it just occurred to me that I might be able to run xcompmgr under KDE?

Beans
    Distro

It's really odd why some apps are almost unusable because of the smearing (for example: I don't use Konquor any more because it makes such a mess when I scroll). Some apps scroll perfectly fine, others scroll down okay but not upwards. Some smear when I scroll, but will "reset" after a second or two. It's weird...