Thread: Asking for an Opinion on My Professional Blog

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Asking for an Opinion on My Professional Blog

Hello readers & potential responders.
    I have recently created a blog on a subdomain of my website, and would like a few peoples opinions on how it looks. The blog is meant to promote myself as a potential employee, to potential employers, in a way that I personally have never seen before.

I blog about my goals and achievements, show off some of my work, and just tell people about my days in general, or what is on my mind.
    In order to give potential employers a look into who I am, in a professional, modest way.

The blog is located at http://rob.ThePCWiz.info and i would appreciate all comments, questions, and suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Asking for an Opinion on My Professional Blog

don't use <marquee>

never

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: Asking for an Opinion on My Professional Blog

Why not use <marquee> ? i was kind of diggin it... i like it. does it not come up correctly in some browsers? I mean i could prolly just remove it fine... no problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@ThePCWiz.info View Post
    Why not use <marquee> ? i was kind of diggin it... i like it. does it not come up correctly in some browsers? I mean i could prolly just remove it fine... no problem.
    About <marquee>:
    1. it is distracting and does never look good. it may look good for a kid club website, but not for professional website.
    2. it is deprecated/non-standard tag. browsers only support it as legacy.

Some extra notes:
    3. Avoid inline styles, use classes/ids and a separate css file. It looks dumb at first, but it makes a huge difference in the future when you start to work in big websites. I'm talking about those lines:
    Code:
    <div style="height:400;width:100%;overflow:auto;border-width:2;border:groove;">
    <div style="border:2;height:75;width:100%;overflow:auto;border-width:2;border:groove;" align=center>
    You could instead use (I'm using both id and class):
    Code:
    #maincontent { height:400;width:100%;overflow:auto;border-width:2;border:groove; }
    .latest { border:2;height:75;width:100%;overflow:auto;border-width:2;border:groove; text-align: center; }
    in the stylesheet
    Code:
    <div id="maincontent">
    <div class="latest">
    in the content. Much easier to read/understand those <div>s.

4. Those borders are ugly, and the main content needs some spacing/padding. Perhaps something like (using the same notation as the last example):
    Code:
    #maincontent { padding: 24px 48px; line-height: 1.5em; }
    .latest { text-align: center; }
    see how your site will look much better without the borders and with the extra spacing: http://omploader.org/vM2U0Ng (I made the changes using Firebug, which is a neat tool for a webdesigner)
    Last edited by Tibuda; January 30th, 2010 at 02:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

to get to the resume, you have to mouse over downloads, then documents. it's simple and the menu is nicely done.

however, i reckon very few potential employers are going to stay on the site long enough to figure that out and download it. you may wantg to consider having an even easier and more obvious link to it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by squilookle View Post
    to get to the resume, you have to mouse over downloads, then documents. it's simple and the menu is nicely done.

however, i reckon very few potential employers are going to stay on the site long enough to figure that out and download it. you may wantg to consider having an even easier and more obvious link to it.
    +1. One possibility would be to mention the download menu in your blurb.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog