Thread: OpenSUSE on the side

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OpenSUSE on the side

I just installed openSUSE on a separate partition, and chose not to install it's boot manager. So I came back to Ubuntu so that I could do an update-grub2, but it doesn't find the SUSE installation. Turns out, even gParted shows the SUSE partition as Unrecognized. What went wrong? Also, how can I add SUSE to my grub list (assuming the filesystem is/was set up correctly)?

Thanks,
    SDLynx

Beans

Re: OpenSUSE on the side

If you used ext3 or ext4 for Suse it should be recognized.Read this to find out how to add new entry to grub.
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by zvacet View Post
    If you used ext3 or ext4 for Suse it should be recognized.Read this to find out how to add new entry to grub.
    Thanks, I got it up. Apparently the installation had gone bad, a reinstall fixed it on the SUSE side. I even got grub2 back (I just installed openSUSE's bootloader in case that was the problem last time). However, now when I try to load Ubuntu it lets me log in but I cannot get any panels or anything for either GNOME or XCFE. OpenSUSE runs fine. Thus, I can't use Ubuntu aside from through the terminal. Help?

Edit: Note, and this is probably important, I have a separate home partition that I mount (same user) for both linuxes (grammar?).
    Last edited by sdlynx; January 30th, 2010 at 06:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

*bump*