Thread: Urgent help please! I think DHCP update killed my internet connection

Beans

SOLVED - I think DHCP update killed my internet connection

I've been connecting to the Internet via Ubuntu 8.10 on my Toshiba laptop fine for ages now, but today it has stopped working.

Yesterday an update came through relating to DHCP and, like all other updates, I installed it. And now my laptop can see the wireless router but it cannot connect to the Internet. (As I always install the recommended Ubuntu updates I didn't look closely at exactly what the update said, but I did see DHCP in the title, so this is why I suspect my connection is now broken.)

Can anyone help me with this? Or can anyone tell me how to undo yesterday's update? I really wish now that Ubuntu had a utility similar to Windows System Restore.
    Last edited by startling; January 31st, 2010 at 04:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Urgent help please! I think DHCP update killed my internet connection

If you right-click the Network Manager icon and select Edit Connections and select Wireless and delete your network and then try again, does it work better?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Re: Urgent help please! I think DHCP update killed my internet connection

Thanks for the advice Chili555 - it's much appreciated and a tip I'll try and remember for the future. The problem was something else: the people I get my connection from told me that they use OpenDNS which had a problem yesterday. Thanks again.