Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secondary Drive error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Secondary Drive error

I have been using Ubuntu for the past 3 months and only recently I occurred a problem, I have on my secondary IDE cable connected a DVD-RW Drive and a hard drive, this setup has been working so far until yesterday and I am unsure what I did wrong, I get the following error when I try to mount the hard drive:
    Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:
    Failed to write lock '/dev/sdb1': Resource temporarily unavailable
    Error opening '/dev/sdb1': Resource temporarily unavailable
    Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Resource temporarily unavailable

Only the hard drive seems to be having this problem, my DVD-RW drive works perfectly fine, I tried disconnecting the DVD-RW drive and the error is still there.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Secondary Drive error

go to your disk utility and see whats wrong please...
    Comitas. Brevitas. Nulla ambitio.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Is the HDD the Master or the Slave connection? Sometimes it doesn't matter, but sometimes you have to poke around in BIOS to make it work.

Cheers.

EDIT: see the next two posts for a more sensible first step
    Last edited by HarrisonNapper; January 29th, 2010 at 08:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This may seem a silly point, but first I would check that the cables are still connected properly - power and data, to both motherboard and drive. Unplug then plug each cable to ensure.
    It's time to behave now the noughties are over.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by dnairb View Post
    This may seem a silly point, but first I would check that the cables are still connected properly - power and data, to both motherboard and drive. Unplug then plug each cable to ensure.
    I second that. Always check the simple stuff first, is my hard won experience.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I checked the cables and they are connected fine, both the DVD Drive and Hard Drive have their jumper settings on Cable Select, this setup works perfectly fine when I use Windows XP and it used to work before on Ubuntu(I am currently using Ubuntu 9.10), I checked in Disk Utility while using the root user and it gives me the same error as described earlier. Before this error happened I had installed Furiusisomount and nrgiso and it's dependencies then when the error occurred I completely removed both of these packages. Please help[ as this secondary hard drive has all my music and it sucks without the music.
    Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Did you purge the configuration files and remove all dependencies?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am not sure how to do that, I am still new to Linux. I tried reinstalling Ubuntu but I created another partition on my Primary hard drive and my secondary drive works perfectly fine now but I need to transfer all my applications that were installed on my previous Ubuntu system on the same Primary hard drive, I found all the Debian Packages in the /var/cache/apt/archive folder but is there a way that I can get back the applications I had on the other system because I had downloaded over 500mb of packages and I don't want to waste my cap trying to download and update them all and how can I merge the partitions into 1 without affecting the Ubuntu I am using now?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

In synaptic, it's the remove completely option. Open up a terminal and run "sudo apt-get autoremove" and be sure to review the packages it removes to be sure you want to remove them. To get everything from the old system, you can move the /home/<user> directory and the /etc directory. If you have the same username, there wouldn't be problems except that you've already downloaded additional packages. You can use rsync (or grsync if you want a gui) to merge them and once you've done it, make sure to sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade (and/or just run the updater)

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for all the help, I decided to just reinstall the OS and download all the programs and updates I had from the South African server because I have a larger local cap limit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast