Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATI releases 10.1 driver

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ATI releases 10.1 driver

Quote Originally Posted by markbuntu View Post
    Did you build the packages manually or just run the installer?
    Ah, I guess I didn't read your whole post. I understand now.

Beans

can somebody tell me how to remove this driver?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by cencorot_91 View Post
    can somebody tell me how to remove this driver?
    If you used the build option to install it (generate .deb packages, let synaptic - well dpkg - deal with them: which is what I always do) then you can just go into synaptic and search for "fglrx" and remove those packages. I've never done it so you may want to wait for further advice. The only "gotcha" I can for see is that perhaps on reboot your X Desktop Server might not give you a graphical desktop. If you are worried about this, copy down or have access to the instructions to perform the driver install in the recovery console to reinstall the Ati driver from the command line once you are there.

If you installed via the ati-installer (not .deb packages) then you can check if there is a /usr/share/fglrx/ati-uninstall.sh (or something similar) and run it. Reboot, as above X may be borked: reinstall driver.

The best option is to have access to another computer: you can attempt these things and then depending on the results have access to this board or another for where to go from there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, considering it is stable I went ahead and did a manual update to the 2.6.32.7 kernel today. Nothing broke, Ati driver is fine. You can always find the latest Ubuntu kernels here, stay away unless you don't mind reinstalling your system like me. So, I guess the lesson to learn from this is that if you use the build packages method of installing the Ati driver (which I always do) vs the "clobber over everything" normal install then the issue of kernel updates is mitigated?

Beans

Nowadays, the fglrx module usually carries over when you change kernels (so no, how you install doesn't matter). Doesn't always work of course, so it's still better to re-install the drivers if you change kernels.
    Hardware:
    Processor: AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core @ 3.04GHz, Motherboard: LP DK 790FX-M2RS, Chipset: ATI RD790 + SB600, System Memory: 3960MB, Disk: 640GB WDC WD6401AALS-0, Graphics: HD4850 @ 750/1100, Screen Resolution: 1680x1050

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    Nowadays, the fglrx module usually carries over when you change kernels (so no, how you install doesn't matter). Doesn't always work of course, so it's still better to re-install the drivers if you change kernels.
    Right on, thank you for the extra information!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12