Thread: wusb54gc(version 3) wont work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

wusb54gc(version 3) wont work!

I had originally posted this on the Beginner Talk forum, but i now realize that i should have posted it here.
    Im completely new to everything Linux, ive never used anything other than windows and ive decided to jump to kubuntu. And the only way i get internet is through a wireless usb Linksys WUSB54GC version 3. It and the cd it came with wont work at all. Are there some things kubuntu wont work with? And is this one of those things?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: wusb54gc(version 3) wont work!

Quote Originally Posted by The_LinuX_Noob View Post
    I had originally posted this on the Beginner Talk forum, but i now realize that i should have posted it here.
    Im completely new to everything Linux, ive never used anything other than windows and ive decided to jump to kubuntu. And the only way i get internet is through a wireless usb Linksys WUSB54GC version 3. It and the cd it came with wont work at all. Are there some things kubuntu wont work with? And is this one of those things?

Thanks!
    Probably worth at least looking at

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=WUSB54GC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

the cd it came with wont work at all.
    Well, Windows is not Linux is not Windows. They use entirely different systems for almost everything. Actually, there is a method to use the Windows drivers in Linux, but let's save that for another day!

I believe this device uses the rt2870sta module, which probably loaded by default already! The problem is often that another conflicting module also loads and they end up fighting. Let's see what is loaded. Open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep rt
    lsusb
    Post the results of these commands and we'll get it sorted out.
    Are there some things kubuntu wont work with?
    Very, very few.
    And is this one of those things?
    Nope.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Well, im kind of a general computer noob. What are modules and where am i supposed to be typing these commands? Sorry for being such a noob!

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The_LinuX_Noob View Post
    Well, im kind of a general computer noob. What are modules and where am i supposed to be typing these commands? Sorry for being such a noob!

Thanks
    What Chili555 was looking for requires the use of the terminal. In Ubuntu (don't know about Kubuntu, but probably close) it is under Applications>>Accessories>>terminal in the menus

You would have to type in the commands he asked for (one at a time) and copy/paste the outputs back here. If any of them started with the word "sudo" they would require your password which will not be echoed back to you. Simply hit enter after putting in the command.

By the way--

lsmod | grep rt
    lsusb

Those commands are ( LSMOD and LSUSB in lowercase not "1"s.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

ok, sorry i havent replied for so long, i got really busy. And after researching it a bit more and trying ubuntu more in depth, ive decided to switch to ubuntu but i dont think its gonna matter at all.

So heres the results from typing those commands:

i typed lsusb and got:
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bc2:3000 Seagate RSS LLC
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1737:0077 Linksys
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 045e:009d Microsoft Corp.
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

and heres lsmod | grep rt:
    rt2800usb 37372 0
    rt2x00usb 11548 1 rt2800usb
    rt2x00lib 29756 2 rt2800usb,rt2x00usb
    led_class 4096 1 rt2x00lib
    input_polldev 3716 1 rt2x00lib
    mac80211 181236 2 rt2x00usb,rt2x00lib
    cfg80211 93052 2 rt2x00lib,mac80211
    crc_ccitt 1852 1 rt2800usb
    parport_pc 31940 1
    parport 35340 3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc
    agpgart 34988 2 drm,intel_agp

so thats it, what is all this btw? To me its pretty much all gibberish. And will this help me get the wireless usb's driver?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

what is all this btw? To me its pretty much all gibberish. And will this help me get the wireless usb's driver?
    lsusb asks the system to list all the USB devices that are connected. With that information, especially the Device ID, in your case, 1737:0077, we can match up the appropriate driver to the device.

lsmod means list all the kernel modules, also known as drivers, that are now loaded. The pipe symbol | asks that the results be piped through another command, grep, which looks for a specific pattern, in this case, modules with rt in their name.

We see that rt2800usb is loaded, along with all its dependencies, rt2x00lib, etc. So your system thinks that is the correct driver and has it all ready to go. No conflicting modules are loaded, that I see.

The next step is to see if a wireless interface was created. Please open the terminal again and do:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    That means, show me the configuration of all my wireless devices. You should get something like mine:
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

irda0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:"GBR1"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 88:24:56:2A:99:29
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s

--- snip ---
    The highlighted part means, YES!, we have a working wireless interface! I suspect you do, too. Yours may be named ra0 or wlan0 or something else different from my eth1.

The final step is to click the Network Manager icon at the top right of your desktop and see if you see your network. Please see attached. If so, click on it and connect. Download updates, torrents, mp3s and enjoy!

Of course, if it all doesn't quite go as planned, post back and we'll help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

owner@ubuntu:~$ iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:""

Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated

Tx-Power=12 dBm

Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff

Power Managementn

Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0

Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    What does this mean? Cause it didnt work.

Thanks

All those surprise faces are : 0 or : o
    Last edited by The_LinuX_Noob; February 3rd, 2010 at 06:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This all means your wireless interface is sitting idle because it hasn't associated with your network yet. What happened when you clicked the Network Manager icon? Did you see your network? Did it try to connect?

I like all the smiley faces!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

oh yea, i forgot about that part. When i clicked Network Manager i saw the network i use but when i clicked it it started connecting, and then said it was disconnected, i tried it several times and got the same result each time