Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Totem playing WMV9, natively - oh yes

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: Totem playing WMV9, natively - oh yes

Quote Originally Posted by DrFunkenstein
    Of course it will be. That the whole point.

P.S.: Great news btw.
    Any word on when Fluendo thinks this might be available?
    Largely depends on amount of bugs in the code - from what I see on my test setup, it should be ready to ship REALLY soon, it hasn't failed to play one file I threw at it.

If you have some WMV files lying around I would be most interested in testing them on the codec to improve the final product. Please PM me with links.

As I don't like nor need the WMV9 plugin and I get a free copy when it goes final as a thanks for beta testing - if I'm allowed I plan to give my copy away (details to be posted on my blog come that day).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    Largely depends on amount of bugs in the code - from what I see on my test setup, it should be ready to ship REALLY soon, it hasn't failed to play one file I threw at it.

If you have some WMV files lying around I would be most interested in testing them on the codec to improve the final product. Please PM me with links.

As I don't like nor need the WMV9 plugin and I get a free copy when it goes final as a thanks for beta testing - if I'm allowed I plan to give my copy away (details to be posted on my blog come that day).
    Ah, sounds good, I'm really looking forward to it.
    I don't have any wmv9 files lying around here though, I only stumble upon them when browsing the web with my ibook running linux, for example german news sites like www.tagesschau.de or www.heute.de use them. So having wmv9 support on ppc really would be awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

The problem with a lot of those online streams is that they either us MMS which is outdated and unsupported by Microsoft or they check for WMP instead of parsing the info to the system to play media files.

Idiotic I know but complain to the websites in question.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I just asked the lead tester for a quote and very priminary none binding:

<Uraeus> Lovechild, it depends a lot on how we end up packaging them and which codec, The final prices are going to be in the range 1-5 USD

Beans

<Uraeus> Lovechild, it depends a lot on how we end up packaging them and which codec, The final prices are going to be in the range 1-5 USD
    Sounds reasonable.
    Any idea how they are going to offer it, that is, will they offer distribution specific packages and if so any word on which distributions they want to target innitially?

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

$5 US? And is this just for the wmv9 codec? Because that's more than fair. Hell, that feels like stealing, it's so cheap!

Then again... "none binding"...
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by DrFunkenstein
    Sounds reasonable.
    Any idea how they are going to offer it, that is, will they offer distribution specific packages and if so any word on which distributions they want to target innitially?
    During testing we get precompiled .so files which just go in ~./gstreamer-0.10/plugins and voila it works no additional steps needed.

I know that we have testers on Fedora and Ubuntu - I expect Gentoo as well. Solaris is in the pipeline I'm told.

Beans

During testing we get precompiled .so files which just go in ~./gstreamer-0.10/plugins and voila it works no additional steps needed.

I know that we have testers on Fedora and Ubuntu - I expect Gentoo as well. Solaris is in the pipeline I'm told.
    I see. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
    This is really an exciting project.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

great, I think taht offering leagal codecs is a nice thing. It might be off topic, but I heard that fluendo offered a plugin for mp3 but I don't know anything else about it. DO yoiu use it? and How do you make it work?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by majikstreet
    ? How does a picture of a copier show totem playing WMV9?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast