Thread: Find gEdit plugin

Beans

Find gEdit plugin

I'm looking for a gEdit plugin, but I don't know how to search because I don't know the name of the feature I need.

It should allow to minimize paragraphs of code, and reopen them clicking on an arrow on the left side.

Detection of beginnning and end of the paragraph should be done either following indentation (for programming languages) or by opening and closing commands (for markup languages).

In particular I what interests me most is the possibility to collapse a single div onto a line, even if the file I am editing is mixed html and php (so it recognized as php as far as evidentation of code is concerned).

Do you know any suitable plugin, or at least the name of the feature? I'm sure it must be quite standard.
    Please, feel free to correct my english, so that I can improve it.

Click here to join Dropbox. Both you and I get free extra space.

Beans

Re: Find gEdit plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Nonno Bassotto View Post
    I'm looking for a gEdit plugin, but I don't know how to search because I don't know the name of the feature I need.

It should allow to minimize paragraphs of code, and reopen them clicking on an arrow on the left side.

Detection of beginnning and end of the paragraph should be done either following indentation (for programming languages) or by opening and closing commands (for markup languages).

In particular I what interests me most is the possibility to collapse a single div onto a line, even if the file I am editing is mixed html and php (so it recognized as php as far as evidentation of code is concerned).

Do you know any suitable plugin, or at least the name of the feature? I'm sure it must be quite standard.
    Have you searched through the available gedit plugins page?

http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins

If you can't find what you are looking for on that page, you might want to try a dedicated editor such as bluefish or geany.

64-Bit Ubuntu! Join the future of computing.

Its called code folding, don't know if there is a plug in for GEdit, Im a Vim guy
    Last edited by hessiess; January 28th, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hessiess View Post
    Its called code folding, don't know if there is a plug in for GEdit, Im a Vim guy

Thank you, I found Gedit folding

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't believe there is that feature yet and gedit-folding doesn't seem to actually work.

However, hopefully in the future gtksourceview will have it (it's what gedit uses)

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=134610
    if u find some of my ideas weird...look at my avatar for the reason
    http://delfick.storage.googlepages.c...ycfuserbar.png

Beans

gEdit folding actually works for me, even if at the beginning it seemed to do nothing.

Be sure your code is indented. Then place the cursor on the first line of the block you want to fold and press alt+z

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hmm, it does too.

how magical
    if u find some of my ideas weird...look at my avatar for the reason
    http://delfick.storage.googlepages.c...ycfuserbar.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

All,

Where do i need to put this python file? i am typically putting third party plugins in:

/home/<usr>/.gnome/gedit

and then i create a "plugins" folder.

i can see "Simple Folder" listed in the "Preferences -> Plugins" tab, but when i click to activate it, it just "grays out".

Any ideas?

-Dustin

Beans

Try doing this after calling gedit from the terminal and see what the outpu is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by physeetcosmo View Post
    All,

Where do i need to put this python file? i am typically putting third party plugins in:

/home/<usr>/.gnome/gedit

and then i create a "plugins" folder.

i can see "Simple Folder" listed in the "Preferences -> Plugins" tab, but when i click to activate it, it just "grays out".

Any ideas?

-Dustin
    You do need to have both the .gedit-plugin and .py file from that site, else like you say it greys it out.

I wouldn't mind something that shows a column down the side next to line numbers with and + or - for when a code block can be expanded or shrunk. And by the looks of this plugin does not save what sections have been shrunk.

I might have a look over it at some stage, see if I can't mod it to allow folded sections to save that they are folded.

Maybe let it add a comment that on file load it can scan for reapply any folds. This might require a confg window to select what style of comment to use so that it can still work with all languages.