Thread: 9.10 - How to rename my computer

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

9.10 - How to rename my computer

On the login screen after startup, my computer's name appears above all the possible login names. I just noticed (a week after-the-fact) that I misspelled the name, and I'd like to change it.

I come from a Windows background, and in Windows, the computer's name is actually just how the machine appears in the Windows workgroup. I assume the computer's name is something similar in Ubuntu (hence this forum).

How do I go about changing this name to correct the spelling? Since I'm using the netbook remix, I don't have the versatility of a full-fledged desktop and control panels (that I know of), so I'm limited to the "System" tab on the desktop and the applications in there.

Note: Linux user level == beginner
    T

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 9.10 - How to rename my computer

There are probably ways to change it from the desktop - I'm more familiar with the CLI version. Edit /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname. You must change it in both places or sudo complains. I don't remember if you need to edit the file with sudo, but if so, use
    Code:
    sudo nano filename
    or
    Code:
    gksudo gedit
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

[SOLVED] Re: 9.10 - How to rename my computer

Thanks, Iowan. That worked. After a bit of research on those two files, however, I discovered that you must edit them in a particular order. That is...
    Code:
    username@hostname:~$ gksudo gedit /etc/hosts
    username@hostname:~$ gksudo gedit /etc/hostname
    Otherwise, sudo complains when you try to edit /etc/hostname. After editing the two files, restart the machine, and all should be well. Welcome to your new host (well, the same one, just named differently).
    T