Thread: Creating .doc with OpenOffice.org Writer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Creating .doc with OpenOffice.org Writer

I am having some real issues with making a document either .doc or .docx using OpenOffice.org Writer. WHen I paste graphics into the article and save the file, then reopen it, the graphics aren't there but an empty box saying, "read error." What am I doing wrong here? When I publish to PDF, it comes out alright, but my teacher knocks off points for not getting the Windows 2003 or 2007 format.

Thanx,
    Ronnie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Creating .doc with OpenOffice.org Writer

Quote Originally Posted by running_rabbit07 View Post
    ...but my teacher knocks off points for not getting the Windows 2003 or 2007 format.
    Is he getting kick-backs from MS?

This will not seem logical, but: how full is your / partition?
    On a laptop that I look after, the / partition was full ( separate /home ), and the owner was having pretty much the same problem. I suppose there is a .tmp file or something in there somewhere that was out of room.

Anyway; it is a shot in the dark, I know, but it only takes a moment to open the system monitor and have a look.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    Is he getting kick-backs from MS?
    Nope, It's a technical communications class and he's using MS Office.
    Edit: With a PDF, he can't see exactly what Fonts I am using and it is one of those papers that requires a number of fints and colors and such.
    This will not seem logical, but: how full is your / partition?
    On a laptop that I look after, the / partition was full ( separate /home ), and the owner was having pretty much the same problem. I suppose there is a .tmp file or something in there somewhere that was out of room.

Anyway; it is a shot in the dark, I know, but it only takes a moment to open the system monitor and have a look.
    I have 28 gigs of free space.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ok, not that then.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Are you sure that the pics are not inserted as links instead of being embedded? Basically, better save the pic on your HD (in a dedicated folder) and then insert it with Insert>Picture>From File and make sure the As link checkbox is not checked.

NB: MS Office .docx is a shame, better avoid it (anyway, OOo can't save in that format, at least in the Sun version).
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar de l'Est View Post
    Are you sure that the pics are not inserted as links instead of being embedded? Basically, better save the pic on your HD (in a dedicated folder) and then insert it with Insert>Picture>From File and make sure the As link checkbox is not checked.

NB: MS Office .docx is a shame, better avoid it (anyway, OOo can't save in that format, at least in the Sun version).
    Are you using 3.1? I can't find insert anywhere. I've been just copying and pasting from the desktop. I have downloaded the manual from the OO website, but of course it is for the 2.x versions. Thanx for the help. I think they should have stuck with text buttons instead of going to icons.I guess once I find the insert button, I will be good to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'm talking about the menu Insert (like "File" or "Edit", ...). Note that you can add the button to the toolbar if you have to insert pics often.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This is a screenshot of Insert, if you scroll down to Picture inset from file. Try that and see if that works.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I figured out the culprit yesterday. I couldn't find the text buttons to be able to do anything. I found that my theme was hiding the text menus.

Thanx for all of the replies.
    • File Type: png 1.png (42.8 KB, 3 views)
    • File Type: png 2.png (55.7 KB, 3 views)