Thread: Importing windows live contacts to evolution

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Importing windows live contacts to evolution

I can't get my windows live contacts into evolution because the evolutions csv doesn't support it... wtf? any help on this?

How do I import my stuff?
    Comitas. Brevitas. Nulla ambitio.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Importing windows live contacts to evolution

Use Thunderbird instead?

Beans
    Distro

don't want to, evolution better inegrated xD

Meh, some hack N slash work got it working... pain in the *** though, had to change all the email types from other to whatever it was supposed to be...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by J V View Post
    don't want to, evolution better inegrated xD

Meh, some hack N slash work got it working... pain in the *** though, had to change all the email types from other to whatever it was supposed to be...
    Step by step so others can figure out what to do when they search for a solution?

Beans
    Distro

• Downloaded the csv from hotmail
    • found an ancient thread with the cvs data from standard evolution output
    • opened the file with openoffice
    • wiped everything but names nicks and emails
    • reformatted into place
    • loaded into evolution
    • changed email types manually
    • done

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by J V View Post
    • Downloaded the csv from hotmail
    • found an ancient thread with the cvs data from standard evolution output
    • opened the file with openoffice
    • wiped everything but names nicks and emails
    • reformatted into place
    • loaded into evolution
    • changed email types manually
    • done
    Link to ancient thread?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

close evolution :

1.- delete all contacts imported that we have tried unsuccessfully to import previously

2.-
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install Contacts
    you can find in Aplication -> OfFice -> Contacts.

3.- Since we have installed it open and see that there is a list of contacts which he shares with Evolution.

4.- We will select all the contacts that exist in our Windows Live Mail email and we will remove, in my case are all the contacts so that to eliminate them all together in a single I click the first contact and then press the keys : Shift + End. If we did it correctly marked a different color.

5.- Now go to the Contacts menu -> Delete, and confirm that we want to eliminate the list must now be empty.

6) go to opcion in windows live mail

7) go to export opcion

8) clic in Export contact and save it the file .CSV in any part of our hard disk.

9) So far we have only exported from our contacts hotmail, that I can find in many other tutorials, since this step is important to follow to the letter. Now let's open the file you've recently downloaded "WLMContacts.csv" and we will open with a spreadsheet editor (the OpenOffice for example):

see pantallazo-text-import-wlmcontactscsv.png

10) Just to give you click OK to continue and we will see all contacts. Now the problem that occurs with Evolution is reading in a different order export columns by default on Windows Live Hotmail, the
    is actually the problem with this. So we have to do is sort the columns properly so that Evolution can read the information correctly. The proper order to interpret Evolution ALL columns is as follows (each name in quotes delimiting the name of a column):

“given_name”,”family_name”,”id”,”nickname”,”email_ 1″,”email_2″,”email_3″,”email_4″,”wants_html”,”bus iness_phone”,”home_phone”,”business_fax”,”pager”,” mobile_phone”,”Home Address”,”Home Address2″,”Home Address City”,”Home Address State”,”Home Address PostCode”,”Home Address Country”,”Business Address”,”Business Address2″,”Business Address City”,”Business Address State”,”Business Address PostCode”,”Business Address Country”,”title”,”office”,”org”,”homepage_url”,”ca luri”,”Birth Year”,”Birth Month”,”Birth Day”,”note”

This is an immense amount of information that usually do not have our contacts, but no problem because really all we need for this to work is the given_name, family_name, nickname, email_1. What we will do is bring the fields to the CSV file so that agreement with those evolution needs, it's just copy, paste and move data between columns. Your file should be of as follows (do a comparison between the correct file modified by us and the wrong generated by hotmail):
    Contacts with the correct columns for the interpreter Evolution

see contactos-incorrectos1.jpg

Now we keep our file with the sorted columns correctly with the name that we want, for example WLMContacts4Evolution.csv

11) Now open Evolution and go to the File -> Import. and We follow the simple steps the wizard: Import a single file / Select the CSV file path and Evolution automatically selects the file type, click next to continue.

12) Now we say that import in private and click Next to finish
    Starts the import process that usually does not take long (about 3 seconds or less depending on how many users you have in your CSV file).
    We will verify that the import did it really successfully, for this go to the Contact options within Evolution, we click on any of our contacts and see that mail is mail from our contact.

13) and voala.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ubuntu User : 4447

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” - Benjamin Franklin

Beans
    Distro

What he said

Beans

This solution solved my problem: Evolution uses "," instead of ";" or TABS ...

http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2938299

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bssdvr View Post
    This solution solved my problem: Evolution uses "," instead of ";" or TABS ...

http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2938299

The combination of your solution and hhlp's worked for me, but I think it would be appropriate to have the answer in english so, if anybody can translate it it would be very interesting. Je ne pas parler français