Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: HOWTO: Proper Screencasting on Linux

thanx for that so coool FOM
    so handy

one more example

Code:
    ffcast --xwininfo  -v -t 00:00:30 -r 40 -o  ./Desktop/screencast.mkv

start it click once on the window of your choice and you have 30 seconds recorded in mkv to your desktop brilliant tool

could one add sound?
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by verb3k View Post
    @FakeOutdoorsman: Problem with ffcast is that it doesn't support audio, does it?. However, the xrectsel tool is particularly useful. It is brilliant. I think I might add it to the guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    could one add sound?
    No, it doesn't deal with audio. It's one of the TODOs, but this script has not been updated since December 2009. Someone with more interest in using this script and a little bash experience could easily add audio support though.

The best part of this script is definitely xrectsel.

I think it is always better for people to be at "ground zero" and learn ffmpeg itself instead of learning a single purpose interface of another interface. It is for their own good
    Yes, I agree, but it is good to have options. I've seen some Ubuntu users interested in this script, but they thought it was for Arch Linux only or didn't know how to get it working or installed.

Beans
    Distro

it is a really cute tool. ffmpeg "raw" is really quite daunting and yes it has to be one of the best tools ever designed but to learn to use it is really quite a task

what i am saying is that one does not preclude the other

ffmpeg is the forest ffcast a nice glade anyway that's my tuppence worth
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    ShanArt

Beans
    Hidden!

Guide update: Added information about the xrectsel tool to the FAQ section.
    Freedom is neither exclusive nor unlimited.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    thanx that is just what i was looking for ffmpeg really roks

ok changed it a tad so the file ends up on desktop which i prefer

Code:
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1024x768 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 ./Desktop/mydesktop.mkv

i have a question tho how can i do this and also add myself being recorded on the cam can it be done?
    You can record webcam feed with ffmpeg by using -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0. You can record infinite number of streams simultaneously. For example, you can record audio from mic, audio from application, video from screen and video from webcam and store them as 4 tracks in a single file, which you can then import to a video editor like openshot and overlay, mix etc... to get the result you wanted. However, note that the likelihood of your streams getting out of sync is quite high, especially if your computer isn't the latest specs or some Alien technology

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Just curious: I have a 1920x1200 native res. monitor and have used FakeOutdoorsman's Tutorial to compile FFmpeg with x264 and all
    available options. My refresh rate is 60hz and no matter what I do I get flicker when using the commands on page one. I also get the same
    with Recordmydesktop. Even when I do a screen print, it is not quite right if I tilt the cube or do anything. A regular screenprint comes out OK.
    I am using the absolute latest nVidia drivers and everything is amazing!

60hz is the max. for my monitor and I cannot figure out why I get the flicker. I even tried using fps=50 instead of 30 and still I get flicker.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Even I tried capturing more than 30 fps and couldn't do it. There seems to be a bottleneck somewhere. You can ask the people at #ffmpeg on irc.freenode.net, they might be able to help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Guide updated: Expanded the FAQ section to include information on how to get help.

Beans
    Distro

You can record webcam feed with ffmpeg by using -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0. You can record infinite number of streams simultaneously. For example, you can record audio from mic, audio from application, video from screen and video from webcam and store them as 4 tracks in a single file, which you can then import to a video editor like openshot and overlay, mix etc... to get the result you wanted. However, note that the likelihood of your streams getting out of sync is quite high, especially if your computer isn't the latest specs or some Alien technology

Verb thanx for that and God i wish i had the alien technology

this is almost alien and gives me a great webcam with voice combo thanx for the info

Code:
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse  -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 -s 320x240   -r 30   ./Desktop/mywebcam.avi

and if you fancy direct recording to other codecs read here

Last edited by shantiq; October 1st, 2010 at 06:23 PM.
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

id like to add to this thread about the hours I spent trying over and over, uploading over and over to youtube and spending time on IRC with FFMPEG people so others won't have to spend the time I did.

When i capture to mkv using this command:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 29.97 -s 1024x768 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 output.mkv
    the audio at the end prior to me hitting "q" is cutoff. not sure why but i can repeat the audio being cutoff all the time. Anyone else seeing this? I added the -r 29.97 because apparently youtube doesn't like anything non-standard FPS and the people on ffmpeg irc chat told me to add it.

Also, when I try to encode it for youtube using the command
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i output-new.mkv -acodec libfaac -ab 128k -ac 2 -r 29.97 -vcodec libx264 -vpre slow -crf 22 -threads 0 pm_message_settings.mp4
    youtube totally f's up my clip from a 36 second clip to 3 second clip. it appears to make video super fast and audio normal.

So the great people on ffmpeg irc chat told me to add -vsync 1 to my encode line and it now works. final render command is this:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i output-new.mkv -acodec libfaac -ab 256k -ac 2 -r 29.97 -vsync 1 -vcodec libx264 -vpre slow -crf 22 -threads 0 pm_message_settings.mp4
    I am using ffmpeg SVN-r25112 with the following compile options. configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab

I do have composite extra enabled on 10.04 Lucid Lynx for zooming in during my screencast. I have the NVIDIA 96.43.17 driver installed.

SO if anyone else can help with the audio being cutoff prior to hitting the q button please let me know. Shouldn't the audio stop with the video when you hit "q"? thanks for any help

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    id like to add to this thread about the hours I spent trying over and over, uploading over and over to youtube and spending time on IRC with FFMPEG people so others won't have to spend the time I did.

When i capture to mkv using this command:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 29.97 -s 1024x768 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 output.mkv
    the audio at the end prior to me hitting "q" is cutoff. not sure why but i can repeat the audio being cutoff all the time. Anyone else seeing this?
    This happens when you are recording through pulse (bug?). If you're recording through microphone, replacing -i pulse with -i hw:0,0 will solve your problem.
    I added the -r 29.97 because apparently youtube doesn't like anything non-standard FPS and the people on ffmpeg irc chat told me to add it.
    Youtube works fine for 30 fps. Both lossless and compressed mp4.
    Also, when I try to encode it for youtube using the command
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i output-new.mkv -acodec libfaac -ab 128k -ac 2 -r 29.97 -vcodec libx264 -vpre slow -crf 22 -threads 0 pm_message_settings.mp4
    youtube totally f's up my clip from a 36 second clip to 3 second clip. it appears to make video super fast and audio normal.
    Not reproducible. Clips compressed with AAC and H.264 in .mp4 are handled properly by youtube and stay at full length.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast