Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Proper Screencasting on Linux

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Proper Screencasting on Linux

This has been very helpful, thanks a lot.

Beans

I said this in another thread on this forum, but I feel obbligated to crosspost it here, because I think the author definitely deserves this. So here's my answer and thanksgiving.

---

Man, dear... author of the first post in this thread.

I, hereby, admit, that your work is greatly appreciated, to unbelivelable extent. Your work and information given in this post saves me.

I worked hard on screencasting using a number of diffrent apps, like recordmydesktop, istanbul, winff, wink, kazam and vlc. Only recordmydesktop gave me some results, but again, youtube stopped processing them. So I was stuck. I struggled for half a month, with no luck, being constantly more stressed and pissed off.

After reading your post, I compiled and installed all ffmpeg related software and they were working. Then I started to record my screen and this was working too. Finally I converted them into mkv format and they worked brilliantly! Also, youtube uploaded them with no problems, so now I'm so happy and relaxed because of you! YOU!

So I would like to say big THANK YOU and with this let me express my love to the open source community and all *unix related world!

You give me outstanding help and thank's to you I've do awesome job. LOVE YOU!

I wish all of you the best!

Beans

Hi all,

I try to have a screenshot on my desktop that has a video playback. But it just shows a black/blank screen on the video portion. All screenshots of others stuffs on my desktop are fine.

Command:
    ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1920x1080 -i:0.0 -vcodec libx264 output.avi

P.S.
    1) I use gnome-mplayer with VDPAU enabled.
    2) If I use VLC without hardware acceleration(very poor video quality), I can capture the video playback with ffmpeg

Is it because of the hardware acceleration enabled by VDPAU?
    And how to fix that?

Many thanks,
    Wilson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Honestly though. Although using the commandline / shell to create a screen capture / screencast, it shouldn't have to be like this in 2012.

Recordmydesktop (RMD) should have been upgraded so that it really does what it is supposed.
    Same goes with Kazam and any other screencast software.

Maybe if we came up with a list of what features are missing or are not good enough, and then someone else came forward and did some coding, maybe the above mentioned software would reach 1.0 at least...

on my 10.04 the version of RMD is 0.3.8.

Trond

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trondhuso View Post
    Honestly though. Although using the commandline / shell to create a screen capture / screencast, it shouldn't have to be like this in 2012.

Recordmydesktop (RMD) should have been upgraded so that it really does what it is supposed.
    Same goes with Kazam and any other screencast software.

Maybe if we came up with a list of what features are missing or are not good enough, and then someone else came forward and did some coding, maybe the above mentioned software would reach 1.0 at least...

on my 10.04 the version of RMD is 0.3.8.

Trond
    The unstable branch of Kazam works really well it but it's only for Oneiric and Precise

Beans

First, kudos to the original poster; this howto has proven to be an absolute Godsend. The closest I've been able to get to a working setup previously was with Kazam under 10.04. It worked for a while, but at some point for reasons completely unknown, recording a desktop with a webcam display inset stopped working (the webcam window displayed cam footage while recording the desktop, but when you viewed the resulting capture file, the contents of the webcam window were just black).

I'm now successfully using this under 12.04, with one annoying glitch: the sound seems to cut out about 5-6 seconds before the end of the video. The sound quality is good, and when I capture the desktop with an inset webcam window, the sound is in sync with the webcam, but in the final capture video, the sound cuts out before the video ends. I've had to get into the habit of waiting 5 seconds before hitting Ctrl-C to stop the desktop capture, then chop off those last 5 seconds of video when I transcode the .mkv file over to a final MP4 or FLV file.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this behavior? It's almost as if pulse is buffering some audio, and when you kill the capture, that audio is getting dumped on the floor instead of muxed in with the video stream.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

thanks,
    Jim

PS I wrote some simple PHP wrapper scripts to hide some of the complexity of the avconv command-line, and to provide a nice little "countdown" before the capture starts. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to post them here.

Beans

Great thread...I'm still struggling with this issue but before I try again I am going to upgrade to the latest distro.

I wish Camtasia would port a linux version. :/ I'd soooo pay for that.

Beans

Hi

Is there a GUI based program to screencast Blender and desktop with Lagarith Lossless Video Codec or similar that does super fast scene change detection and compresses unchanged blocks of frames together and saves disc space?

Beans

Has anyone figured out how to record both the on screen audio and the mic in? Ffmpeg and pulse work fine to capture on screen sound but what about voice over from a microphone?

Beans

I've never tried it myself. Maybe you can simply add another audio input; though you'll end up with two audio streams. Other than the official documentation Capturing audio with FFmpeg and ALSA might give some additional clues.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast