Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Proper Screencasting on Linux

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Proper Screencasting on Linux

Requesting a mod to move the thread to Outdated Tutorials & Tips would have been a better way of retiring it, in my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wow. The thread started a year ago, was updated from time to time by Verb3k, and it has had continuing activity weekly ever since. I don't even know that it was a candidate for retiring yet.

Maybe he did it so he wouldn't be asked any more questions about it? Kinda lame to remove all the data he had been updating the whole time instead of just saying "you're on your own now people". But whatever.

Wayback only archived it once, a year ago. But that's enough to piece together most of what he had. Thanks for that link Scratchr.
    Mankind is my religion, of course I use GNU/Linux!

Beans

Since i got the 2nd post on this thread, ill post it up again in a bit =)
    So She Said Internet, And I Said Inter-Not

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Bonster, well done=D>. I'll add a bit of what I've been able to accomplish on this subject next week after I'm done moving.

Beans

Hello. I'm trying to record directly to webm using f.e. this command:

ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -an -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1440x900 -i :0.0 -threads 4 -y 1.webm
    But I get only video without a sound(not from microphon nor from internal sound).
    Any ideas?

... I just have to take away -an option(which meens without audio) and now it records sound also but with soma delay in 1sec.
    So command is

ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1440x900 -i :0.0 -threads 4 -y 1.webm
    Last edited by rulet; October 4th, 2011 at 08:58 AM.

Beans

The example in Step 1 need to be updated because the text file based lossless presets have been depreciated in favor of directly accessing the presets via libx264:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1024x768 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -crf 0 -threads 0 output.mkv
    A nice side effect is that this method encodes faster in my tests, but I only tested file inputs and not x11grab which could be a bottleneck.

Beans

Hi, FYI FFcast has been updated to 1.0 and now supports audio recording and everything else.
    The syntax has changed and all but it's a real win. For example, FakeOutdoorsman's FFmpeg example above translated into FFcast syntax would be something like this:
    Code:
     ffcast -s ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -r 30 -- -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -crf 0 -threads 0 output.mkv
    which prompts the user to select a region (xrectsel) and records that region.

Check out the announcement and README.
    Last edited by hellxwxrld; October 4th, 2011 at 07:30 AM.

Beans

Oh they changed presets again, ill update it in a bit then. Thanks
    So She Said Internet, And I Said Inter-Not

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

All posts in this thread should really make use of the new presets in the current (compiled) version of FFMPEG. It's a shame that the version of FFMPEG currently maintained with the LTS version of Ubuntu is now so different from the mainstream version, but that is the nature of F/LOSS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by OlympicSoftworks View Post
    All posts in this thread should really make use of the new presets in the current (compiled) version of FFMPEG. It's a shame that the version of FFMPEG currently maintained with the LTS version of Ubuntu is now so different from the mainstream version, but that is the nature of F/LOSS.
    That's the nature of all software, not just F/LOSS. Stop sniping.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast