Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: SoundGraph iMon LCD w/ Karmic 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb HOWTO: SoundGraph iMon LCD w/ Karmic 9.10

Here are some troubleshooting steps to follow if your iMon LCD isn't working as advertised in Karmic Koala (9.10).

With lcdproc v0.5.3 and lirc v0.8.6, Karmic Koala (9.10) should support many SoundGraph iMON LCD panels (such as those found on the Antec Fusion Black 430 case) out-of-the box.

For now, I'll just focus on getting the LCD working. Questions about the volume knob and remote will have to wait for another time. For details on getting an MCE remote working, check out this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...49#post8860349 (thanks rodercot!)

First, if you have manually installed a patched version of lcdproc v0.5.2, make sure you uninstall it!

Troubleshooting steps:
    1. Remove any lirc module options
      Here are the current options for the lirc module:
      Code:
      debug:Debug messages: 0=no, 1=yes(default: no) (int)
      display_type:Type of attached display. 0=autodetect, 1=vfd, 2=lcd, 3=vga, 4=none (default: autodetect) (int)
      ir_protocol:Which IR protocol to use. 0=native iMON, 1=Windows Media Center Ed. (RC-6), 2=iMON w/o PAD stabilize (default: native iMON) (int)
      nomouse:Disable mouse input device mode when IR device is open. 0=don't disable, 1=disable. (default: don't disable) (int)
      pad_thresh:Threshold at which a pad push registers as an arrow key in kbd mode (default: 28) (int)
      For now, just remove (back it up elsewhere!) anything in /etc/modprobe.d which has lirc options such as:
      Code:
      /etc/modprobe.d/lirc
      /etc/modprobe.d/options
      /etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf
    2. Ensure that lcdproc and lirc are installed:
      Code:
      user@htpc:~$ sudo apt-get install lirc lcdproc
    3. Verify that you have an LCD and check its version:

• This is an LCD! Note the many icons around the border of the screen. This HOWTO is just for you!

Check the version:
      Code:
      user@htpc:~$ lsusb | grep -i 15c2
      Should return one of the following:
      Code:
      Bus 003 Device 002: ID 15c2:ffdc SoundGraph Inc. iMON PAD Remote Controller
      Bus 003 Device 002: ID 15c2:0038 SoundGraph Inc.
      If you get a device other than the :ffdc or :0038, it's likely not yet supported by lcdproc. Check the lcdproc mailing list for more information.

If lsusb returns nothing, then lirc isn't finding your device. Ensure that it's plugged in and powered up. Verify that the lirc_imon module is loaded:
      Code:
      user@htpc:~$ lsmod | grep lirc
      lirc_imon              25872  0 
      lirc_dev               10804  1 lirc_imon
    4. Check lcdproc configuration
      Code:
      sudo gedit /etc/LCDd.conf
      or:
      Code:
      sudo mousepad /etc/LCDd.conf
      • Look for the "Driver=" line around line 53. Change it to read:
        Code:
        Driver=imonlcd
      • Find the [imonlcd] section around line #557.
      • Ensure that the "Protocol=" line matches your device. 0 for the :ffdc, 1 for the :0038
      • Set the "OnExit=" line to your liking.
      • Ensure that the device on the "Device=" line exists:
        Code:
        ls /dev/lcd*
      • If the display is too bright, lower the "Contrast=" number. If it's too dim, raise that number. The default of 200 is pretty good for me.

5. Restart LCDd
      Code:
      sudo /etc/init.d/LCDd restart
    6. Still not working?
      1. Stop the LCDd process:
        Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/LCDd stop
      2. Run LCDd in the foreground with a high debug level:
        Code:
        sudo LCDd -f -s 0 -r 5
      3. See if the screen is working and if any error messages are given (sample output below).
      4. Hit CTRL-C to stop LCDd.
      5. The output from mine is:
        Code:
        LCDd version 0.5.3 starting
        Built on Oct 14 2009, protocol version 0.3, API version 0.5
        Using Configuration File: /etc/LCDd.conf
        Set report level to 5, output to stderr
        LCDd 0.5.3, LCDproc Protocol 0.3
        Part of the LCDproc suite
        Copyright (C) 1998-2009 William Ferrell, Scott Scriven
                                and many other contributors

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
        modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
        as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
        of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
        but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
        MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
        GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
        along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
        Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

Server running in foreground
        Listening for queries on 127.0.0.1:13666
        screenlist_init()
        driver_load(name="imonlcd", filename="/usr/lib/lcdproc/imonlcd.so")
        imonlcd: using Device /dev/lcd0
        imonlcd: init() done
        Key "Escape" is now reserved exclusively by client [-1]
        Key "Enter" is now reserved shared by client [-1]
        Key "Up" is now reserved shared by client [-1]
        Key "Down" is now reserved shared by client [-1]
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_switch(s=[_server_screen])
        screenlist_switch: switched to screen [_server_screen]
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        screenlist_process()
        ^CServer shutting down on SIGINT
        imonlcd: closing, turning backlight off.
        Key "Escape" reserved exclusively by client [-1] and is now released
        Key "Enter" reserved shared by client [-1] and is now released
        Key "Up" reserved shared by client [-1] and is now released
        Key "Down" reserved shared by client [-1] and is now released
        screenlist_shutdown()
        Exiting.

References:
    Last edited by gazer22; February 22nd, 2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: added link about MCE remotes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: SoundGraph iMon LCD w/ Karmic 9.10

Great tutorial. I've followed your steps, and they all work. So now, I'm at the point where I have the "LCDproc Server" screen (on an actual LCD), and it doesn't seem to actually switch to anything else. Is there any other configuration I need to have it display an equalizer for example when I play music?

BTW, I am so glad you are writing this tut, because honestly, I have Karmic 9.10 (x64) and the Thermaltake DH-202 with the PAD remote, and its super hard to find any tutorials or even forums with Karmic in mind! And I've been to almost all the ones I can find on google for previous OS versions, and they apparently are drastically different as far as procedures for getting this to work. So thank you for being "up to date" with all of this.

So, my second question. How the heck can I get my remote to work? Back when I first started setting this stuff up, I didn't have a working LCD, but somehow I got the remote to work, because I ran "sudo irw" and it actually read my remote's keypresses. Then I moved onto the LCD, and now that it works, my remote no longer registers.

Do the settings for the LCD and remote -affect each other-? I mean if I have one particular setting (maybe incorrect) for the LCD set, does that preclude me from configuring my remote correctly until I fix it? That's the only explanation I can think of. I have gone back through all the pages I can find, and all the tutorials and steps and tried to reproduce the success I had the first time, but no luck.

If you have any experience getting these two things to work together with Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic (x64) (although 64 shouldn't be drastically different from x86), please let me know. Thanks so much!!

Beans

I used your tutorial to get my Antec Fusion black/LCD to work in 9.10.
    It was working fine, but I then started to get lots of IRQ erros. It got so bad that sometimes it would take 5 mins to boot up, if at all. The msgs were related to unhandled IRQ interrupts, and then it would disable the IRQ. I tried adding the noirqdebug and irqpoll options to the boot, but it didnt help. I then just disabled and shut off the LCD. I never saw a IRQ problem again after that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tralston View Post
    ...So now, I'm at the point where I have the "LCDproc Server" screen (on an actual LCD), and it doesn't seem to actually switch to anything else. Is there any other configuration I need to have it display an equalizer for example when I play music?
    You now need a client for lcdproc. I don't know of any offhand that display an equalizer, but I haven't looked either. MythTV comes with its own lcdproc client, but it generally displays progress of whatever your watching/listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by tralston View Post
    ...So, my second question. How the heck can I get my remote to work? Back when I first started setting this stuff up, I didn't have a working LCD, but somehow I got the remote to work, because I ran "sudo irw" and it actually read my remote's keypresses. Then I moved onto the LCD, and now that it works, my remote no longer registers.

Do the settings for the LCD and remote -affect each other-? I mean if I have one particular setting (maybe incorrect) for the LCD set, does that preclude me from configuring my remote correctly until I fix it? That's the only explanation I can think of. I have gone back through all the pages I can find, and all the tutorials and steps and tried to reproduce the success I had the first time, but no luck.
    The only thing that should have affected your remote (LIRC) is the removal of /etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf. Was there something there? Did you make a backup?

LIRC and LCDPROC are related because LIRC provides the USB driver for the unit, which lcdproc piggy-backs onto. Nothing in LCDd.conf will affect the remote control, but lirc settings could affect both.

I think there aren't as many how-tos out there for newer versions of ubuntu because installs are now handling LCDs and remotes better and better. Still not perfect, but better.

You could try to do the automatic lirc re-configure:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc
    This should pop up the options for configuring your remote again.

You could also try to configure it via the Mythbuntu Control Centre if you're running Mythbuntu (under "Infrared Devices").

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
    I used your tutorial to get my Antec Fusion black/LCD to work in 9.10.
    It was working fine, but I then started to get lots of IRQ erros. It got so bad that sometimes it would take 5 mins to boot up, if at all. The msgs were related to unhandled IRQ interrupts, and then it would disable the IRQ. I tried adding the noirqdebug and irqpoll options to the boot, but it didnt help. I then just disabled and shut off the LCD. I never saw a IRQ problem again after that.
    That's very strange. Never heard of that one before, which leads me believe that you either have a bad unit, or other strange settings in your system.

FWIW, lirc handles the nitty-gritty interface with the LCD module, so that would be the place to start looking for your issues.

Beans

Might be the problem. I dont use lirc for my remote. I have a gyration remote, which doesnt use lirc.

Beans

I have the LCD working but on shutdown it is not displaying the clock. I have OnExit=1 set.

Any Idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi Gazer22,

I just wanted to let you know I have updated the how-to for 9.10 Myth or Karmic on getting the MCE remote working with ffdc device and then using the MCE remote dongle to transmit commands on the same machine.

Two days later it is working. UGGHHH. I am working on suspend now, when I get that all figured out I will update again. here is the link.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...9&postcount=11

update on this. I am actually making my life even more painful by trying to get my Gyration Remote(all buttons) working with lirc_imon and lirc_mceusb. So the gyration would pass commands, Lcdproc would drive Lcd and the MCE dongle will transmit commands. So actually 4 lirc device really as the gyration is two input events by itself, this is proving the biggest struggle I have had to date with the setups. I will post an update to the howto when complete.

another note - In my antec chassis, you can try this to if you like. to setup suspending I enabled USB0 via sudo su - echo USB0 > /cat/proc/acpi/wakeup - I added this line to my /etc/rc/local right above the EXIT 0 line. Then I visudo to give access to my user to /usr/sbin/pm-suspend. This allows my to run pm-suspend without sudo and powers the system back on from my power button on the MCE 1039 remote.

All that said, if you do the above and it suspends OK then in LCDd.conf set your backlight option to BLANK and your LCD will shutoff on suspend. you can also add to your /etc/pm/sleep.d/ a 07LCDd script that kills LCDd on suspend and restarts it on resume. If you are not sure about that let me know and I will post a copy of mine for you to try.

This option shuts down LCDd on suspend, kills the backlight and the power led on my Antec 430 Black case with any motherboard including ASUS which have the boards that cause the flashing power led.

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by rodercot; February 24th, 2010 at 03:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for writing this up. I've spent ages trying to get the iMon to work.
    Working through this well written howto sorted it straight out.

Once the display was running I ran "lcdproc" to test out the display. It worked a treat. ("lcdproc -h" to get all the options, but simply "lcdproc -f" to run in the foreground and ctrl-c to stop should be enough).

I don't get the clock to show on shutdown though. So still some issues to work on.

Thanks!

Beans

great tutorial, I have a frustrating problem with this though. My remote is working great (even with XBMC, which was a mission in itself) however, my LCD is just nuts.

If I put the driver=imon then I get nothing happening on the LCD. If I put the driver line as driver=imonlcd

The thing goes bananas. It's flashing all the time and generally just being a jerk. I've followed the instructions to the letter in this guide and when running it as foreground I see the following error repeating itself over and over.

Listening for queries on 127.0.0.1:13666
    screenlist_init()
    driver_load(name="imonlcd", filename="/usr/lib/lcdproc/imonlcd.so")
    imonlcd: using Device /dev/lcd0
    imon: error writing to file descriptor: -1
    imonlcd: init() done
    Key "Escape" is now reserved exclusively by client [-1]
    Key "Enter" is now reserved shared by client [-1]
    Key "Up" is now reserved shared by client [-1]
    Key "Down" is now reserved shared by client [-1]
    screenlist_process()
    screenlist_switch: switched to screen [_server_screen]

screenlist_process()

screenlist_process()
    screenlist_process()
    this will repeat forever essentially and I'm pretty sure it's what's causing my crazy LCD. Any help would be most appreciated. Perhaps this thing is trying to write to a protected file or something?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast