Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any way to run a program from my Windows partition using WINE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Any way to run a program from my Windows partition using WINE?

You are launching the same "version" of your application on Ubuntu - however the program odds are saves configuration files elsewhere on the hard drive. You will have to hunt these down and copy them to Ubuntu if you want the same setup you have in Windows.

Regards,
    ~Jeff

Beans

Re: Any way to run a program from my Windows partition using WINE?

Quote Originally Posted by beastrace91 View Post
    Example:
    This is a known limitation of the driver and/or older kernels. Steam requires functionality (mmap with shared write access) which Wine can not emulate if it's not supported on file system.
    This is totally irrelevant of NTFS-3G. Kernels older than 2.6.26 didn't support the needed functionality:

http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-faq/#wine

It appears to be more stable with newer kernels,
    What do you mean by "appears". People are using it every day and we get zero bug report. The only complain I have seen in the past years is yours but you didn't describe any specific problem, only refer to an old issue which was a kernel problem, solved two years ago.

but my statement still stands that it is better to actually install applications in Wine than just run them form the Windows partition. For example TF2 runs perfectly fine for me installed under Wine however when I run it from a vfat or ntfs partition it chokes and dies quite often.
    That statement is right, I never questioned that. Wine is not designed to run software which were not installed via Wine. No matter if it's FAT, NTFS, ext3, or whatever. Most people use NTFS, so when it doesn't work then some people blames NTFS-3G when the problem is actually that, that the application must be installed via Wine, not via Windows to be run via Wine. This is how Wine was designed to be used.

You wrote "ntfs-3g drivers are not the best as of yet". That's what I'm only interested. What are the NTFS-3G problems? If there is any then we would very much like to know about it to be fixed! Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12