Thread: update Flash for Firefox

update Flash for Firefox

FF has been segfaulting tonight and it appears to be caused by Flash. See this thread. Or, at least, Flash is involved somehow.

I thought I should start a new thread to ask about updating. I'm a recent convert from Fedora and some things are still a bit confusing.

So I tried updating the plugin yb going to Tools->Add-ons->Plugins and clicking "Find Updates". I'm told that my version (Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32) is outdated and so I head over to Adobe's site. They're offering "Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.42.34" and I select "APT for Ubuntu 9.0.4+". When apt-url launches, it prompts me to join something called the "9.10 Partner Channel". I do so and apt-url downloads 57 files, then announces, "Could not find package 'adobe-flashplugin'."

So, I'm wondering what the heck is going on here. Why would apt-url prompt me to join this package group if the software I'm looking for isn't offered?

Secondly, is there some other place to get this from? Like, Adobe, maybe?

I realise that I can download a tarball, but I'm pretty fresh with Ubuntu still and only a hazy idea where I should install things to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: update Flash for Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by okhowaboutthisusername View Post
    FF has been segfaulting tonight and it appears to be caused by Flash. See this thread. Or, at least, Flash is involved somehow.

I thought I should start a new thread to ask about updating. I'm a recent convert from Fedora and some things are still a bit confusing.

So I tried updating the plugin yb going to Tools->Add-ons->Plugins and clicking "Find Updates". I'm told that my version (Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32) is outdated and so I head over to Adobe's site. They're offering "Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.42.34" and I select "APT for Ubuntu 9.0.4+". When apt-url launches, it prompts me to join something called the "9.10 Partner Channel". I do so and apt-url downloads 57 files, then announces, "Could not find package 'adobe-flashplugin'."

So, I'm wondering what the heck is going on here. Why would apt-url prompt me to join this package group if the software I'm looking for isn't offered?

I realise that I can download a tarball, but I'm pretty fresh with Ubuntu still and only a hazy idea where I should install things to.
    What's your version of Firefox? Please post help/about.

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wink Re: update Flash for Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by okhowaboutthisusername View Post

Installing Flash Player via the Adobe website

1 - Go to Adobe Flash

2 - Select .deb for Ubuntu 8.04+ from the drop down menu

3 - Click Agree & Install Now

4 - Select Open With GDebi Package Installer in firefox or save the file and install the .deb file that way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by scouser73 View Post
    Installing Flash Player via the Adobe website

1 - Go to Adobe Flash

2 - Select .deb for Ubuntu 8.04+ from the drop down menu

3 - Click Agree & Install Now

4 - Select Open With GDebi Package Installer in firefox or save the file and install the .deb file that way
    Good instructions for 32-bit Firefox.

Will not work for 64-bit Firefox.

Please clarify in the future.

Beans

I think you just should download the tar ball. Extract it in /home/[user]/plugins/. Restart Firefox.

Done.
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.