Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Against noise: does it exist some computer cases / tower completely silent?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Against noise: does it exist some computer cases / tower completely silent?

Just use Noctua fans for your chassis fan and your CPU cooler fan, and a passive-cooled video card. That'll be as close to silent as you want.

Don't worry about what the other poster said about Noctua fans - they are so quiet that you don't need to run them slower. And they come with two special adapters that run them slower, anyway.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

I used an expensive Thermaltake GPU cooler on a 6800GT card once. Took me forever to put fiddly thing together, & I didn't use too much or too little thermal paste; even so, that card died a few months later. So I don't feel all that comfortable with GPU copper heat pipe cooling these days.

The graphics card wasn't cheap at the time & neither was the after market cooler, & of course I had no warranty.

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Maheriano View Post
    Use water cooling instead of air. Problem solved.
    Does that = no noise at all?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I used an expensive Thermaltake GPU cooler on a 6800GT card once. Took me forever to put fiddly thing together, & I didn't use too much or too little thermal paste; even so, that card died a few months later. So I don't feel all that comfortable with GPU copper heat pipe cooling these days.

The graphics card wasn't cheap at the time & neither was the after market cooler, & of course I had no warranty.
    Umm..ouch. 6800GTs are hot little cards, I'm not suprised that it dies with a passive cooler. I wouldnt have tried that without some form of extra cooling, like a 'floating' 92/120mm fan over the card. Not silent, but better than the screaming coolers that the 6800GTs came with.

To be honest, I'm not fond of thermal takes coolers myself but how much of that was the cause of your unfortunate card death I dont know.

I've got a long histroy of running passively cooled cards, currently running a 8600GT, before that it was a 6600GT AGP, 5200FX and GF4 MX440. Apart from the 5200, all were factory fanless.

The only one that has got sick is the 5200. It was converted from a standard cooler that was screaming when I got it, and overheating badly. Once modded, it ran for the whole time I used it. But when I shoved it into a computer I was building yesterday, it started artifacting really badly.....I'll have to take the heatsink off and check to see if the thermal paste has dried out or if it really is dieing. I just shoved 'old faithful', the MX440 into the computer and its fine

BTW, the 6600GT is still running, and has been pretty much every day since it was bought (mid 2005 IIRC)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Shuttle PCs are extremely quiet. Look at the Antec P180 or mini P180 case which is quiet as well.

You can find a video card that is passively cooled with only a heat sink (no fan!). Those are silent.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

try water cooler~~

Beans

@cascade9: There is the slightest chance that if you rub over the contacts on the card (the ones that go into the slot on the motherboard) with a pencil rubber, to clean them, you just might fix it.

It's too easy not to do imho.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by colaho View Post
    try water cooler~~
    I wonder how many people in thread who have suggested this have actually run watercooling....

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    @cascade9: There is the slightest chance that if you rub over the contacts on the card (the ones that go into the slot on the motherboard) with a pencil rubber, to clean them, you just might fix it.

It's too easy not to do imho.
    Yes, I was actually just about to try that. Bit of nasty corrosion on the AGP interface. I wonder if that is from me sweating the the damned thing when I was last playing with it. Stupid corrosive sweat I have

Thanks for the tip though

Beans

AFAIK, only two people in this thread have watercooled. Myself and cascade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Is switching to water cooling expensive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    I can tell you something about a turntable.
    I have two of them.
    And a microphone.
    Where it's at.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast