Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Broadcom Wireless STA driver (wl) Ubuntu 9.10/10.04

Beans

Re: Broadcom Wireless STA driver (wl) Ubuntu 9.10/10.04

I feel this is the post has the answer to my problem but I cant seem to understand it.... (what a new b)

I have a dual boot compaq f572US,

I installed UStudio 10.04 without internet connection and skipped the network setup step. Now Ubuntu won't recognize a physical connection and it seems like it doesn't have a driver for my wlan. (broadcom 802.11 b/g)

I tried using ndisgtkr, but I can't find anyplace (web) how to get the *.inf and *.bin driver, I only found *.sys which I can't use.(when you look for the driver in devicemanager in vista it takes you where the .sys file is but not the inf nor bin).

I finally found the broadcomm drivers that you show in this post, but I don't quite understand the guide.

Following another post on how to install ndisgtk, I already blacklisted some using:
    -
    echo -e "blacklist bcm43xx\nblacklist b43\nblacklist b43legacy\nblacklist ssb" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist blacklist bcm43xx, blacklist b43, blacklist b43legacy blacklist ssb
    -
    I'm not sure what it did, but ndisgtk seems to work OK. (although I have no driver to use and test it with).

Please help...

When you say "unpak and modify", you mean using texteditor?
    and "compile using make' you mean in the terminal? (steps 2 and 3)

Beans

Thank you so much, dnaand,... your solution was so simple that it saved my day after trying everything for more than 3 hours! You rock!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinepill View Post
    Even this didn't work for me (Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit), although I see many people have had success with this method!. I was getting various errors when I attempted to install (and several attempts to re-install) the bcmwl-kernel-source package manually via synaptic.

Assuming you have attempted to install bcmwl-kernel-source and its dependencies manually, received errors during its install and synaptic is showing bcmwl-kernel-source as 'installed'... this may solve the problem.

Go into synaptic and...

completely remove bcmwl-kernel-source AND dkms

then, whilst still in synaptic

install bcmwl-kernel-source

For me this did the trick, I'm not sure why. (removing dkms was the golden ticket). I then went back into Hardware Drivers and driver was showing as activated but not in use. All it took then was a quick reboot and

Hope this helps someone!
    WOW!!! This worked for me. THANK YOU. (Dell Studio 1558, Ubuntu 10.10)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinepill View Post
    Even this didn't work for me (Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit), although I see many people have had success with this method!. I was getting various errors when I attempted to install (and several attempts to re-install) the bcmwl-kernel-source package manually via synaptic.

Assuming you have attempted to install bcmwl-kernel-source and its dependencies manually, received errors during its install and synaptic is showing bcmwl-kernel-source as 'installed'... this may solve the problem.

Go into synaptic and...

completely remove bcmwl-kernel-source AND dkms

then, whilst still in synaptic

install bcmwl-kernel-source

For me this did the trick, I'm not sure why. (removing dkms was the golden ticket). I then went back into Hardware Drivers and driver was showing as activated but not in use. All it took then was a quick reboot and

Hope this helps someone!
    wow amazing !! .. It really works !! Thanks alot man !!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by owhno View Post
    Problem using Broadcom Wireless in Ubuntu 9.10/10.04 because it is not supported by b43 driver ?

Assuming you have tried all normal installation procedures like using the Hardware Drivers tool and you still do not have a working WiFi setup this is what you must do:

1. Download the Broadcom drivers: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
    2. Unpack and modify the ‘src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c‘:
    Line 35 (after #include <linux/etherdevice.h>) add:
    #include < linux/sched.h >
    3. Compile the code with: make
    4. Copy the new driver: sudo mv wl.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    5. Update dependencies: sudo depmod -a
    6. Modify the blacklist to include the ‘b43′ and ’ssb’ drivers /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (Add below the bcm43xx blacklist)

The part above you probably have seen a few times while googling for the answer. But there is a small problem, as you would have noticed, the ‘ssb‘ driver cannot be blacklisted. It is included in the initrd as I remember from the ubuntuforums. To solve this issue modify the /etc/rc.local to include before the exit(0):

Code:
    rmmod ssb
    modprobe wl
    Now on startup the ssb gets removed and after that the new wl gets inserted. Adding wl to the /etc/modules will not help because the removing needs to be done first.
    So with the /etc/rc.local modification everything happens in the correct order for perfect WiFi.

This was tested multiple times on a MacBook Pro with the Broadcom 4328 chipset and should work for all chipsets not supported by the b43 drivers.

Update:
    Not all systems include the 'linux/sched.h' file. Install the 'linux-headers-generic' package if you get errors. The generic package is a meta package that should install the propper package for your kernel. If it isn't working install with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    Can someone please explain steps 3 through 6, I do not know how to compile code with make. I'm completely new to Linux. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my HP Pavillion DV9410US after having replaced a virus infected hard drive mostly because I am a broke college student & Ubuntu is free.

Thanks,
    El Choch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Marite View Post
    Guys - i did it!!
    This crappy STA error was bugging me for 3 days.
    As i am so green in this technical thing, first in my life i had to go through a million of treads regarding this missing wireless thing and i had no solution for my case.
    1 - i did saw an inactive STA in System/Administration/Hardware drivers but i couldn't activate it
    2- i checked Synaptic package manager and there wasn't this bcmwl-kernel-source, but there at least was bcmwl-modaliases
    3 - i reinstalled the last one bcmwl-modaliases
    4 - rebooted computer
    5 - in Hardware drivers appeared B43 as already active, but wireless wasn't working anyways
    6 - though i removed B43
    7 - rebooted again
    8 - tried to activate STA and got message "/var/log/jockey.log"
    9 - tried again and got message "Sorry, the Jockey backend crashed"
    how da heck could i know, that i have to go to Synaptic manager / Settings / Repositories / and mark a tickbox in Ubuntu softwear "Proprietary drivers for devices (restricted) !!!??? This small step solved all my problems
    10 - bcmwl-kernel-source appeared in synaptic
    11 - i acivated all of it, rebooted
    12....and vuala!! Wireless was there!!
    This worked perfectly while making a clean install of Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) on a MacBook Unibody (5,1). Thanks for your post. I kept getting the "/var/log/jockey.log" error while trying to activate the B43 driver under System > Administration > Additional Drivers. After going to package manager and removing all b43 / bcm references, I rebooted, then re-checked bcmwl-modaliases and bcmwl-kernel-source, rebooted, and now it was activated, with wireless and WPA working flawlessly. Thanks again.

Beans

Hey,

I suspect that this is the answer to my problems but I'm a bit of a novice and linux command lines. So... I wondered if there was a version of the fix for simpletons? Just for reference when I try and use the additonal drivers option to install the broadcom driveres I get a fail and this in the jockey log:

My log file reports:

2010-10-22 20:37:49,316 DEBUG: updating <jockey.detection.LocalKernelModulesDriverDB instance at 0x9f98fec>
    2010-10-22 20:37:49,317 DEBUG: reading modalias file /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/modules.alias
    2010-10-22 20:37:49,586 DEBUG: reading modalias file /usr/share/jockey/modaliases/bcmwl
    2010-10-22 20:37:49,599 DEBUG: reading modalias file /usr/share/jockey/modaliases/disable-upstream-nvidia
    2010-10-22 20:37:49,716 DEBUG: reading modalias file /usr/share/jockey/modaliases/fglrx-modules.alias.override
    2010-10-22 20:37:49,720 DEBUG: reading modalias file /usr/share/jockey/modaliases/nvidia-173
    2010-10-22 20:37:49,728 DEBUG: reading modalias file /usr/share/jockey/modaliases/nvidia-96
    2010-10-22 20:37:49,732 DEBUG: reading modalias file /usr/share/jockey/modaliases/nvidia-current
    2010-10-22 20:37:49,740 WARNING: Could not open DriverDB cache /var/cache/jockey/driverdb-OpenPrintingDriverDB.cache: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/cache/jockey/driverdb-OpenPrintingDriverDB.cache'
    2010-10-22 20:37:50,400 DEBUG: loading custom handler /usr/share/jockey/handlers/b43.py
    2010-10-22 20:37:50,514 DEBUG: Instantiated Handler subclass __builtin__.B43LegacyHandler from name B43LegacyHandler
    2010-10-22 20:37:50,515 DEBUG: Broadcom B43legacy wireless driver availability undetermined, adding to pool
    2010-10-22 20:37:50,563 DEBUG: Instantiated Handler subclass __builtin__.B43Handler from name B43Handler
    2010-10-22 20:37:50,564 DEBUG: Broadcom B43 wireless driver availability undetermined, adding to pool
    2010-10-22 20:37:50,564 DEBUG: loading custom handler /usr/share/jockey/handlers/fglrx.py
    2010-10-22 20:37:50,646 WARNING: modinfo for module fglrx failed: ERROR: modinfo: could not find module fglrx

Any suggestions humbly cherished.

Cheers, Jamie.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by benmctee View Post
    This worked perfectly while making a clean install of Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) on a MacBook Unibody (5,1). Thanks for your post. I kept getting the "/var/log/jockey.log" error while trying to activate the B43 driver under System > Administration > Additional Drivers. After going to package manager and removing all b43 / bcm references, I rebooted, then re-checked bcmwl-modaliases and bcmwl-kernel-source, rebooted, and now it was activated, with wireless and WPA working flawlessly. Thanks again.
    Dont work that hard

1. Remove bcmwl-kernel-source and bcmwl-modalieses using synaptic
    2. Go to system > Administration > additional drivers and activate broadcom drivers
    3. Enjoy and sleep

Atul Kakrana

Beans

I'm having problems with my wireless adaptor too

Absolute beginner when it comes to Ubuntu so trying to figure out the solution - I tried the most recently posted (and simplest!) one and found that bcmwl-kernel-source wasn't installed but bcmwl-modalieses was. I marked for removal but when I clicked on 'apply' got the following message:

Please can someone help?!

Thanks

Jo

Beans

Hi!!!!
    I am using Dell inspiron N5010 lap with core i3 processor..

I am not able to use Wi-Fi in Ubuntu 10.04. How to configure wireless driver? Actually when i am using Ubuntu through CD i am able to connect to net.

Please provide me with a better solution..

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast