Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 cannot connect to adhoc networks?...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu 9.10 cannot connect to adhoc networks?...

Howdy All,

So my home DSL has been down the last couple of days and as a makeshift fix I have my N900 tethered into my laptop for internet. What I would like to do is be able to share said internet connection from my laptop wirelessly to my netbook and media center (all three are running Ubuntu 9.10) the issue I am having is that after I create the adhoc network on my laptop neither of media center (64bit) or my netbook (32bit) are able to connect to the adhoc network I create (the icon spins in a circle for a small bit as though it is trying to connect and then eventually stops after a few minutes.)

Has anyone been successfully able to adhoc a network/internet share between two Ubuntu computers? If so mind giving me some advice on what I am doing wrong here?

Regards,
    ~Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 cannot connect to adhoc networks?...

i setup ICS once using my mobile phone tethered' but it's changed a lot since then an a google search confirms it.

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...using_only_gui

that should work well, skip the stuff you already have setup.

Beans

There are lotsof ideas here!!!!!!!!!
    but people seem to be very casual with this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Any body interested in a joint venture ?
    I got some stuff to share
    -------------------------------------
    ccna

Beans

Not exactly the answer you're after but I set up my Nokia N95 8GB as an Access Point using JoikuSpot for Symbian OS. There's another piece of software called WalkingHotSpot but haven't tried it. JoikuSpot works well for the most part but Ubuntu is a right pain when it comes to the Ad-hoc network, don't know why, Windows works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bumping this thread for good measure. Anyone have suggestions on getting Ubuntu's network manager to connect to an ad-hoc network?

~Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have WEP ad-hoc between 2 ubuntu PC. (Before - 1 ubuntu, 1 win XP ). It works according to tutorial here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/creating-a...th-ubuntu.html
    (Read comments too)
    To make internet access shared you need to configure it in network-interface options. Or, another way, configure NAT using some program (such as guidedog).