Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the angle here?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What's the angle here?

I had been using chrome for a while and ignoring firefox. I have to say that the more I see it the more it looks bad to force h264 as part of html5. For one thing, the betas on youtube and vimeo don't work right, they just don't, at least not on google chrome; yes, I know they are in beta. But the theora player in current firefox is already working great and has been for a while. It even uses less cpu than the flash player. I know there's a few video sites that have been experimenting with this already, but to be honest, they stink. Why can't there be some real competition to youtube? Vimeo is stuck as a niche forever by following youtube.

Btw, I said theora is not better than h264 and it's true. Let's not lie. It's not the video version of vorbis, which is definitely a superior lossy format with audio.
    Last edited by LightB; January 27th, 2010 at 12:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What's the angle here?

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    H.264 might be better at supporting DRM or encoding, it might be why google has pick H.264 over OGG. Youtube wants to make money and using a standard that movie and TV companies like might help their bottom line.
    This^ is likely.
    I have not looked into the issue, but my gut response was similar to this post. DRM is likely at the root of the matter. If I felt compelled that would be something I would consider when putting together a search term, or support inquiry, or any other questions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123