Thread: Internet / Intranet SSH logon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Internet / Intranet SSH logon

I'm running an Ubuntu 8.10 Server. I have an account that I use from my intranet to access the server. I want to make that account only accessible over an intranet connection and set up a separate account for me to use over an internet connection.

Basically allow any connection from 192.168.*.* to use one account, and all other connections can only use another specific account to access the server. The want for this is because I have a basic username and password for my account, but I know that by making a public SSH connection possible, I need* to use a really strong (stronger than my basic) password. I don't want to have to use a really strong password if I'm accessing remotely...that's why I'm looking into this option. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Internet / Intranet SSH logon

You can use the AllowUsers directive in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

AllowUsers joe
    AllowUsers fred@192.168.0.*

or if your network is named properly then,

AllowUsers joe
    AllowUsers fred@mynetwork

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Match Group

As BkkBonaza points out, sshd_config is the place to start looking. Changes to who's allowed to access the server are more manageable when the access is granted to a group rather than an individual user.

But to provide different settings based on network of origin, you can use the Match directive. e.g.

Code:
    Match Address 192.168.0.0/16, Group extranet
       MaxAuthTries 0