Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Athlon Xp 2400+ problems

Beans

Exclamation Athlon Xp 2400+ problems

Hey everyone, I really need a fast response, and I went here because this community is so great.

Long story short, I bought a new processor for my old computer and the Athlon Xp 2400+ came up as an 1800+

Googled the problem and found I needed to change my FSB in the Bios. Did that, and now my computer wont boot.

Im using an MSI KTV4 mobo. The system boots up WinXp and gets the the boots screen with the scrolling blue bar. Then the system tanks and turns off.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Athlon Xp 2400+ problems

I had an athlon 2200+ come up as a 1500+ but I just left it. Would like to know how to fix it tho.

EDIT: it was the FSB. What annoys me is that 2200+ is NOT 2.2 GHz. Its actually 1800MHz. 2200+ was meaning that it was equivalent to a pentium 4 2.2.
    Last edited by llawwehttam; January 27th, 2010 at 10:10 PM.

Beans

Well Ill be damned...
    I tried booting it up for the 10th time and it worked!
    I tried loading up tf2 though and it shut down.
    It was running a bit warm, 42 on idle... could that be the problem?
    I have an 80mm fan running plus the heatsink, my thermal compound was applied correctly; I have no idea why it is so hot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Katman000 View Post
    Well Ill be damned...
    I tried booting it up for the 10th time and it worked!
    I tried loading up tf2 though and it shut down.
    It was running a bit warm, 42 on idle... could that be the problem?
    I have an 80mm fan running plus the heatsink, my thermal compound was applied correctly; I have no idea why it is so hot.
    I have a coolermaster cpu cooler I bought for $35 for my P4 and it runs at 36 on idle. 42 isn't too hot. You may have bad overclock values or your PSU may not be good enough.

Beans

You mean it shows up as 1800MHz?

If so, then it is most likely working as intended, the xxxx+ numbers on amd cpus are a marketing stunt, not actual ratings.

Beans

I got it to register as a 2400+, that's not the issue. The processor is running, but the computer shuts down during, or shortly after booting.

Could it be the PSU? May I have to reinstall the OS?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Katman000 View Post
    I got it to register as a 2400+, that's not the issue. The processor is running, but the computer shuts down during, or shortly after booting.

Could it be the PSU? May I have to reinstall the OS?
    The way you describe it, it looks like a hardware problem.
    Most likely overheating, but it could also be a defective cpu, or one that's received quite some abuse.

You could try underclocking it, or triple checking your heat sink setup.

Some people used to do really weird things with their athlon XPs back in the day: http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/~htsu/humor/fry_egg.html

Beans

Im not overclocking the machine, Im simply plugging in the correct settings.

I don't think its the PSU because and Athlon 64 would require 400 watts, and I have 350. I could be wrong though.

Restarting the cmos didn't work either.
    Would I have the reinstall windows?

Beans

"underclocking" it to a 1800 would make the machine run, but that is only because the machine was used to an Athlon clocked at 1.2 Ghz with a FSB of 100. I think the OS is just doesn't like the new FSB, but I could be wrong....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Could be that the RAM doesn't cope with faster FSB. Changing RAM latencies might help get it to run but maybe best just to ramp everything back down to slower FSB speed and live with it.
    AMD Phenom Quad 9650, 8Gb RAM, (2 x 1) +(1 x 1.5)Tb HDDs; 64-bit Lucid (ʍoʃs ʎpooʃq ooʇ sɐʍ ʇı ʇnq ʎʇʇɐᴎ pǝıɹʇ I); Dual-boot Win XP Pro 32-bit (although mainly use WINE or VirtualBox). HP t5730 with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD running xubuntu 10.10.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast