Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please include Touchscreen Support!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Please include Touchscreen Support!

I realize that Touchscreens are still in the minority of things right now...however I feel that Ubuntu would be making a huge step in the right direction but allowing native support of both N-Trig and Wacom touchscreens. Does not have to be multitouch yet...just single touch will be fine.

The users with Touchscreens have to jump through hoops just to get it working. I think that Ubuntu would be a lot more appealing to users if it "just worked" instead of command line after command line.

Also if possible include a calibration tool for Ntrig and Wacom as well.

Anyone agree with this?

KEEP IT CIVIL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Please include Touchscreen Support!

agreed, with the appearance of new tablet computers and this being a long term release, I reckon that should be implemented.

Though there is one minor point that may need to be addressed, virtual keyboards at the gdm... if you have a tablet, then you kinda need one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah I forgot about that. Should be not that hard to whip one up.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by waspbr View Post
    agreed, with the appearance of new tablet computers and this being a long term release, I reckon that should be implemented.

Though there is one minor point that may need to be addressed, virtual keyboards at the gdm... if you have a tablet, then you kinda need one.
    There's a keyboard available via the accessibility menu at GDM so could it not just "detect" touchscreen and run it auto? or have i misunderstood you?
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

agreed this is a feature I am really hoping for.

I wish to install a computer in my car, with a small LCD in the dash and running ubuntu as the OS.

However I have been worried about touchscreen support and have held off as a result.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntuforums.org
    Please note: Ubuntu Developers do not usually read the forums, to report a problem found in Lucid please report the bug in Launchpad.
    Just saying

If you want the developers to take note, make bugs at Launchpad or suggestions at Brainstorm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I know....but I am hoping that of enough of us request this then it will not be ignored.

Plus they SHOULD monitor the forums more often IMHO.

Beans

getting wacom to change orientation with the screen out of the box when going from landscape to portrait mode would be nice to.

Beans

If I remember correctly, the wacom driver is currently not working with the xserver 1.7 series (if being the operative term). So this *may* be something that we won't get right away without a good wait.

One good project to look at is this one, which also ties into ubuntu for ARM:

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com

As they multiboot between their own version of linux, ubuntu, android, and ChromeOS (don't get too excited, trying this one usually results in a kernel panic), it provides a nice way to gauge ubuntu vs other distros on the same hardware.

The touchscreen on it is nice, if a bit inaccurate at times.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Are you just talking about Lucid? Or touchscreen support in general? Linux has done touch screens for years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast