Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: List Linux program you use that you feel need some help or love.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: List Linux program you use that you feel need some help or love.

Quote Originally Posted by flying_surprise View Post
    I'm completely with you! Kaffeine 1.0-whatever is completely worthless and useless! It makes me so pissed they have destroyed it.

Kaffeine 0.8.8 works good but it lacks some features, like teletext (yes, most of our dvb channels in sweden have teletext) and support for mpeg4 over dvb.

We should make our own fork out of 0.8.8 and continue to develope it!
    If I only could....
    Unfortunately 8.7 /8.8 makes problems for me on Karmic,only reason why I still have Intrepid running also...so,if you code kinda 8.9 fork,..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Emerald. A promising but dead project that could need some extra bug and performance fixes. The replacement Jasper also seems to be dead.

gnome-panel. <snip> piece of software ever produced by the gnome developers. It doesn't need help or love, it needs to be destroyed and replaced. As a customizer it's my biggest hate object.

nuff said.
    Last edited by K.Mandla; May 15th, 2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate language.

Beans

Network Manager.

I've had a lot of experiences with mobile broadband/3G networking and Network Manager over the last 2 years, all of them unhappy and not very good. The current state of 3G networking with NM reminds me a lot of how wireless networking used to be on Ubuntu about 4 years ago - those who remember those "bad old days" will understand my frustration!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So I wonder,
    how can we get people to work on these projects again?
    Some of them are actually necessary programs, they are alternatives to programs you use on Windows or Mac.
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chewearn View Post
    GQview
    Last stable release was Dec 2nd, 2006.
    Have a look at geeqie. It is an up to date fork of gqview and is in the repos.

http://geeqie.sourceforge.net/

Re Kaffeine. It was the best video player on kde 3.5 but from what I understand it is a one developer project and he hasn't had the time to work on it and hence development has virtually stopped. It is the problem with projects that are the work of one person rather than a team.

My vote would be for Basket. Many people ask for a Onenote linux app and basket was the closest by a long way. The original developer did a great job but announced that he wouldn't have the time to develop it further or port it to kde4. I think some people are supposed to have taken it over but that was a long time ago and nothing has been released yet. There isn't even any news on the website. It is a real shame that such a promising spp that had been done so well has died.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

F4L : Need to continue these program!

BRL-CAD: AutoCAD like GPL program, need-packaging bug, i got it packaged, not on repos.

Oleo: Missing from Karmic/Lucid (i reported bug), its like GNUmeric but NCurses

Genius Tablets Driver: Not on repos,i got it packaged,Wacom is not avaliable everywhere.

Kludgets Widgets: OS X Widgets for Ubuntu,i got it packaged,not on repos.

Beans
    Hidden!

LOVE:

Irssi
    gtmess
    pork
    firefox

NEED WORK!

opensource radeon and radeonhd drivers from XF86, they render things upside down.

gimp, it needs some kind of implementation of skew, along with the ability to drop shadow stroke/etc (add font effects)

gftp needs to stop chmoding EVERYTHING I upload to 0644 because some things need different permissions or they wont work, it should keep the existing permissions.

ibus needs to be able to function in gui apps like firefox and open office. (but no problem because UIM is so much better)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Jahshaka, for compositing. Apparently dead in the water for some time, I tried to compile old sources but gave up. It has binary for Fedora and Mac OS X and both work pretty good.

Other is BRL-CAD. It is CAD for UNIX, BSD licence, Uncle sam's project, pretty good stuff. Only problem that puts it off getting more users is that is pretty user unfriendly and it it not in Ubuntu's repository.

So:

Jahshaka

BRL-CAD

If I think off some more I will say.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    Have a look at geeqie. It is an up to date fork of gqview and is in the repos.

http://geeqie.sourceforge.net/
    Thanks for the tip!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LarsKongo View Post
    gnome-panel. <snip> piece of software ever produced by the gnome developers. It doesn't need help or love, it needs to be destroyed and replaced. As a customizer it's my biggest hate object.
    http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell

Talk about a panel replacement! Problem solved.
    Last edited by K.Mandla; May 15th, 2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Edited quoted text.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast