Thread: Wildcard iptables delete

Beans

Wildcard iptables delete

Hello. I'm brand new to Linux, but a long time Windows administrator, so I understand the concepts, not the syntax.

I've stumbled through setting up Ubuntu Server as a NAT server. It's working great now.

My goal is to map public IPs to private IPs. However, I want to change them often through an automated fashion (SSH remote call). So, I want to run commands that will remove the previous rule and add a new rule, or update the existing rule.

For example, the original rule may be something like:
    iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -d 206.72.119.76 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.240.5.5
    iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s 10.240.5.5 -j SNAT --to-source 206.72.119.76

The issue I'm running into is finding out how to delete the previous entry before adding a new one. For example, let's say that 206.72.119.76 should now map to 10.240.5.6 (instead of .5).

Is there a wildcard option for the delete rule so that I don't need to know the original destination IP? i.e.
    iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -d 206.72.119.76 -j DNAT --to-destination [+]

Or, would it make sense to create a script that traverses all rules, gets the existing rule, and then deletes it?

Of course my next issue would be that I don't know any Linux scripting so it's hard to know where to start.

Beans

Re: Wildcard iptables delete

I would go with scripting and gawk/awk, I prefer gawk, will be your friend. You can go, in the terminal,
    Code:
    which awk
    or
    Code:
    which gawk
    and if a path is listed it's installed. If not, then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gawk

Here's a manual for gawk.

HTH,
    Barrie
    Debian Stable
    FluxBox
    Mark Your Thread Solved

Beans

Great, thanks Barrie. It wasn't installed already but your instructions are just what I needed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OWScott View Post
    Great, thanks Barrie. It wasn't installed already but your instructions are just what I needed.
    Glad to help. I'm far from a gawk expert but I'll keep watching this thread. 8)
    Debian Stable
    FluxBox
    Mark Your Thread Solved

Beans

Been thinking about this and may be able to jumpstart you but have a question first. How are you notified that the IP's need to be changed??? What I'm looking for is some kind of file that has:
    Code:
    OldIp NewIp
    i.e. a file that can be processed easily with gawk. I can see doing this with a shell script that calls a gawk script...

Barrie
    Debian Stable
    FluxBox
    Mark Your Thread Solved

Beans

Removing subscription.