Thread: Trying to make a loop-aes ubuntu live disk

Beans

Trying to make a loop-aes ubuntu live disk

Hi all, I have spent the last two days hanging out on irc reading documentation twiddling my thumbs while a kernel compiles for the nth time, and I'm exhausted and need a hand.

I am trying to make a live cd with the module loop-aes installed, doesn't sound too tricky does it, my processes thus far have been.
    Make a basic livecd with these instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Li...ionFromScratch
    Then compile a new kernel with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m not y (why was that changed grrr) as per these instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile
    I then add a debian repo to get the source for loop-aes and use the module-assistant to build and install it.
    I am on the home straight now.... but whats this 2.2gig? Well your not going to fit on a cd are you
    How on earth can I remove the programs which where installed as deps so I could build this kernel? I have removed the main ones I needed to install but the others are still there sigh.

Much thanks,
    Wip
    Got something that needs fixing? Dont ask me.

Beans

Re: Trying to make a loop-aes ubuntu live disk

Anyone able to shed some light on this? I have tried just building the cd image from basics and I find it has loads of errors and doesn't work well. I have even taken the ISO of the current release and extracted and updated the packages and it seems to not very well either, is there some special magic I am missing?
    A simple package update from a working source should have been a recipe for a no error image.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Wipster View Post
    ...I am on the home straight now.... but whats this 2.2gig? Well your not going to fit on a cd are you
    why not put it on a DVD? It would fit, wouldn't it?
    Michael

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    why not put it on a DVD? It would fit, wouldn't it?
    Indeed it would, DVD be a bit slow tho wouldn't it? I'd rather not waste one if I can get away with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Wipster View Post
    Indeed it would, DVD be a bit slow tho wouldn't it? I'd rather not waste one if I can get away with it.
    I don't see why it would be any slower than a live CD, but I don't know for sure.
    Michael