Thread: ip tables point to website

Beans

ip tables point to website

hello, i have an AP set up and would like to have all requests for a website sent to a specific ip address.. and am trying to get this to work in IP tables

user-->AP-->google.com

no matter what site they try to goto it takes them to google.com
    i want to use this to require people to login to my server when they connect to my AP before they can go any further.

thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ip tables point to website

Hi there,

You could use destination NAT to rewrite the target addresses of packets passing through your AP. For example...
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -i eth2 -j DNAT --to 12.34.56.78

Beans

I have tried to use the code you provided and it didn't work could you maybe help me further? here is what ive got

Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1 # DNS
    iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j MASQUERADE # gateway to ext. router
    iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface at0 -j ACCEPT # AP
    if i just use this code it will forward all page requests out to the internet just fine, but if i add your code

Code:
    iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -i eth0 -j DNAT --to 12.34.56.78
    it breaks. Obvoisly i changed the ip address.

one question i have is should -i be set to the internet facing interface? or should it be set to at0 which is where all the traffic is comming from. i tried it both ways and it didnt work either way.

thanks for any farther help you can give.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey again,

Quote Originally Posted by randumnumber View Post
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1 # DNS
    iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j MASQUERADE # gateway to ext. router
    iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface at0 -j ACCEPT # AP
    I'm not sure what you're up to there ... are you trying to spoof DNS resolutions as well, for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by randumnumber View Post
    should -i be set to the internet facing interface?
    No. You're interested in mangling packets destined for the internet, not ones originating there. Can you post your complete firewall configuration? One of your other rules could be causing problems.

Beans

I dont have a firewall setup on my system its on my router and its very permissive, I thought i should be passing dns to my internal network so they can find webpages. the address is on my home router which in turn points to a dns server on the internet.

internal pc --> dns request to my iptables --> passed to the router on 192.168.1.1 --> passed to the internet

should i not have to do this?

here is my complete iptables readout

Code:
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
    ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    and my nat

Code:
    Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
    DNAT       udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:domain to:192.168.1.1 

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
    MASQUERADE  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    let me recap to say what i want to be doing, i want all traffic comming from inside the network that is attaching to my soft AP to be directed at an ip address on the internet.

i just studied a little of dns spoofing, maybe i could setup a bind server on my box and spoof dns to point to whatever page? or is there any easier way though ip tables?
    i hope there is an easy way. lol.
    thanks again
    Last edited by randumnumber; January 25th, 2010 at 12:13 AM.