Thread: Thanks for the ATI laptop, now please put ATI on desktop

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the ATI laptop, now please put ATI on desktop

It's great System76 is selling the new Pangolin performance laptop with an ATI graphics card. ATI has been a real friend of the open source community and their open-source drivers are the best all-around.

Please offer ATI card on your desktops (it should be much easier there as you can just pop in another card). Nvidious has been a foe of Linux and FOSS for a long time, and it's time we start boycotting them!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Thanks for the ATI laptop, now please put ATI on desktop

AND it has the brand new 32nm i5, and i7 CPUs!

@S76 With the new CPUs how much has battery life increased, if any?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It's all in your point of view. My last laptop was crippled by ATI. I couldn't upgrade past Intrepid due to no ATI driver support in X.org 1.6. Meanwhile, Nvidia support was great.

The whole "pick and choose which of our past cards to support" also bothers me. My x1700 ran out of support not long after it was introduced.

Nope. I'm personally not a fan of ATI. 2 years of being deviled by them was enough. But don't let my opinion discourage others. Just sharing my experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Please offer ATI card on your desktops (it should be much easier there as you can just pop in another card). Nvidious has been a foe of Linux and FOSS for a long time, and it's time we start boycotting them!
    That's funny. Five months ago, ALL of our desktops were ATI, and we received unending encouragement to go BACK to nVidia (primarily because configuring ATI was prohibitively difficult). So, we're back to nVidia, which has a much more usable UI.

While we HAVE noticed that ATI cards do provide a little more bang for the buck performance-wise, we've had to put about the same level of technical support work into both of them to work around various issues. And we've not seen fixes from ATI be more forthcoming than fixes for nVidia on our particular machines.

In the end, we've found that our customer base just wants their systems to work. So we don't really engage a lot in nVidia vs. ATI, or AMD vs. Intel debates.

We always have ATI and AMD on our radar. And when ATI gets their act together with their UI, and AMD develops a partner program that is even HALF as good as Intel's, we'll certainly be taking a closer look.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    It's all in your point of view. My last laptop was crippled by ATI. I couldn't upgrade past Intrepid due to no ATI driver support in X.org 1.6. Meanwhile, Nvidia support was great.
    +1 for that. ATI x850 - no 3D support past 8.10 because of the drivers. I got a new nVidia card for $70 - works flawlessly and blazing speed graphics. nVidia's menu options are way beyond anything from ATI (that I've seen).

Beans
    Hidden!

echoing the desire to have Nvidia option.
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett