Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empathy Has No Menu Bar on Startup

Beans

Red face Empathy Has No Menu Bar on Startup

I have Empathy set to start when I login, and when I turn off my computer, it is always still running. I also usually have Evolution, Liferea, and Rhythmbox running. All of these applications usually work fine the next day when I turn on my computer. However, for the last few days, Empathy has been starting without a menu bar. In one instance, Rhythmbox was also menubar-less. Now, Empathy is always without a menu bar. If I ever need the menu bar, I have to restart Empathy. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I am unable to provide a terminal output since this application starts up with my computer. I have provided a screenshot of Empathy. I think I have a faint idea of why Empathy is without a menu bar. I read something somewhere about an XML file that contained the menu bar contents. I think that since I shut off my computer without closing these applications, that file has been corrupted. I have no idea why everything works fine once I restart Empathy, though. If you cannot answer this question, perhaps you could tell me if it is safe to shutdown Ubuntu with applications still running. In OS X, it will automatically tell your applications to quit safely, then turn of the computer. I hope Ubuntu doesn't just force quit any open applications. I am using Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit with the latest updates. I am using Empathy 2.26.1. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Empathy Has No Menu Bar on Startup

Bump, I finally got globalmenu working today, and when I go to Empathy, the menu bar does not appear in the globalmenu nor in Empathy until I restart it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Any luck with this? I've run into the same problem...

Beans

Sorry, but I haven't had any luck. My computer crashed a month and two weeks ago, so that has pretty much put a stop to any troubleshooting.

Beans

I am still experiencing the exact same problem now, on my parents' computer. Does anyone have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Schwenker View Post
    If I ever need the menu bar, I have to restart Empathy.
    I don't quite remember the reason why this happens but it was mentioned in a conky solution some time ago. In the bit I have quoted lies the symptom necessary to diagnose the problem. The treatment is:

1. Save this script in your home directory as .empathy_start.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    sleep 10
    killall empathy &
    sleep 30
    empathy
    2. Change the Startup Applications command to point to the script.
    3. Make the script executable. (right click >> properties >> permissions)
    4. One reboot will reveal that your Empathy is cured.
    Last edited by labinnsw; June 24th, 2010 at 02:10 PM.

Beans

Thanks a bunch for that! When I start my computer tomorrow, I'll see if it works. Thanks for contributing your solution.

Beans

Hmm... it seems to work, but the other problem is appearing when I use the script; the contact list is blank, and changing my status from the dropdown does nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Schwenker View Post
    Hmm... it seems to work, but the other problem is appearing when I use the script; the contact list is blank, and changing my status from the dropdown does nothing.
    Are your chat accounts still there?

Beans

No. The contact list is completely blank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast