Thread: How To Migrate Email (One Web Host to Another)

Beans

How To Migrate Email (One Web Host to Another)

Hi All,

Sorry about the cross post with Desktop. I was not sure if Desktop meant 'Desktop vs Server', or Desktop as in relation to Windows Managers.

I'm hoping someone else has worked out these details and can offer some help. I want to move a domain from one web host to another. I also want to preserve my email. Does anyone have a recommendation for software which will allow me to:

(1) Copy current web host email locally
    (2) Switch web hosts
    (3) Populate new web host with local copy

I've looked at imapcopy and imapsync. Unfortunately, both want Server -> Server. I briefly looked at setting up a local IMAP server (dovecot-imap), but it is clear that this is more ISP-grade. I did not see a quick example of user management in http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo, and I don't really want to spend days working on the configuration.

Any recommendations for software that allows me to 'backup' and 'restore' to/from a local file store?

Thanks,
    JW
    Last edited by noloader; January 23rd, 2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How To Migrate Email (One Web Host to Another)

Ask your new webhost provider what methods of import, if any, they support. They may give you more options than you are considering.

Alternatively, setup a gmail account and suck in all the existing email and live with it there.

Beans

Connect to your current mail server using IMAP, then download all of your messages to your local machine through whatever mail client you are using. Then just configure your new email account with the same client.

Beans

Hi Terrapin893,

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin893 View Post
    Connect to your current mail server using IMAP, then download all of your messages to your local machine through whatever mail client you are using. Then just configure your new email account with the same client.
    This is what I initially drempt up. Have you tried this? I'm concerned that after switching web hosts, Thunderbird will delete all local messages since the email accounts will be empty on the new web host.

Jeff

Beans

Hi blueridgedog,
    Quote Originally Posted by blueridgedog View Post
    Ask your new webhost provider what methods of import, if any, they support. They may give you more options than you are considering.
    I don't think either web host will help: the old web host is losing business, so he will probably be less than interested. The new web host wants the monthly fees (and perhaps a setup fee). They don't want to really do anything out of the ordinary...

JW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have always had luck setting both accounts up as an IMAP account, then selecting all and moving them into the new hosts folder (like a folder called fromOldHost).
    If they allow IMAP, then you can do it that way. Be patient as it will probably take a long time.