Thread: Please advise about 3G modem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Please advise about 3G modem

Hello. I am googling for days trying to decide which 3G usb modem/dongle to buy, without much success. I have seen the list here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G

(is there a more recent one or this one is getting updated?)

Due to solid support in windows and ubuntu, it will probably be Huawei. I'm trying to figure out which one offers best signal reception, without much luck. Yes, I know the reception will depend on many factors, but under same conditions, are there any recommendations?

From what I've seen on Ebay, the short list is:
    E220 (probably oldest but with most support it seems, flashed to 7.2Mb and unlocked)
    E169 (not sure if E169G is good out of the box, it's not marked as such in the above list, while E169 is)
    E1550

Out of the three, are there any recommendations someone can make? I would really appreciate the help.

I'm also tempted to go for a Zoom 4595, it has some great reviews about reception and speed, but their own technical support says it's not supported in Linux.

I'm mainly after good reception/speed, because it will be used on the go so if it works only in windows I can live with that. If it works in Ubuntu too, that's a plus, but I wouldn't sacrifice signal reception for that.

Hope someone can help with some info. Thanks.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Please advise about 3G modem

hi i have problems with mobile broadband with the huawei e1550 does not work out of the box , i contacted 3 and they said mifi is compatable with linux.

Beans
    Hidden!

Do not use alltel...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by d3v1150m471c View Post
    Do not use alltel...
    What is alltel?

Update: The NewEgg website comments say Zoom 4595 could be recognized in linux and working. It says "Works with Linux after using the "usb_modeswitch" command to swap it from USB drive modem to standard serial modem mode."

What ever that means.

Because of the good spec Zoom 4595 looks like the favorite right now, even with the higher price.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi,

the huweii one i use seems just for the network '3' in the UK, worked out of the box.

Glancing thru suggestions on the web, the E220 seems to be good one.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G Is the list of them, with comments where known.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

we find the E220 Huawei good

Hi darkod;

we have used a Huawei E220 and I find it very reliable;

you can (for free) upgrade the firmware so it can potentially download 7.2M/sec (or some such claim);

I am not convinced the "newer" modems work any differently ...

I suspect it is the network you are dialling into ...

Beans
    Distro

Thanks to everyone. If someone has experience comparing few models under the same conditions (on same network and same spot), it would be nice to hear them.
    It's not just whether a modem is specified to work at 7.2Mb or 3.6Mb, but how fast does it actually work compared to other models at the same location.
    I can't seem to find any comparison like that. Usually you end up with mobile internet packages pricing comparison.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

@Darkod: Could you share which 3G Modem did you choose in the end? Is it compatible with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

This thread was started long time ago. With every new release of Ubuntu they are expanding the compatibility too.
    At the end, I bought a new mobile phone that also supports 3G and used that as a modem connected to the computer with its data cable, when I needed it.
    Few weeks ago I had the chance to try ZTE MF637 and I can confirm it works. When you plug it in and it mounts the CD option, just unmount it. You should be able to use it as a modem after that.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit