Thread: Cannot connect to unsecured wireless network

Beans

Cannot connect to unsecured wireless network

Hey there everyone, how's it going? I'm pretty much brand spankin' new to the world of linux and wireless networking, and haven't got a clue where to start to fix my problem. I've exhausted myself through about 4 hours of searching and about half a pack of smokes (nasty habit, got to quit) and still cannot seem to find any relevant material to get myself through this. Also, I didn't really understand much of it.

Anyways, my problem is that I cannot connect to any available hotspots in my area through Ubuntu 9.10. I have a D-Link adapter (DWA-552) and it is working fine in Windows, and worked once in Ubuntu right after installation. It was automatically recognized, and wireless connections do show up. I just can't connect to any.

I have my box hooked up to my mom's laptop, which is sharing it's wireless connection (which is also the same one I'm trying to connect to.) I disconnect the LAN before trying to connect to wireless, and tries but fails.

So that's about as far as I get, I don't know what to do. Did I mention I'm a noob

Here's some info

Code:
    cake@cbx:~$ uname -mr
    2.6.31-14-generic i686
    cake@cbx:~$ iwconfig wlan0
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  
              Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=27 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:on
              Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    Signal level: 0... wtf?

Code:
    cake@cbx:~$ lsmod | grep "ath9k"
    ath9k                 258744  0 
    mac80211              181236  1 ath9k
    led_class               4096  1 ath9k
    ath                     8060  1 ath9k
    cfg80211               93052  3 ath9k,mac80211,ath
    I'm assuming the device is using ath9k

Any help on the subject will be greatly appreciated. I'm going to have to buy a book on this stuff...
    Thanks.

::EDIT::
    I just updated and tried to connect, it did... signal was at -65dbm. Then as soon as I opened firefox and attempted to access google, it dropped. Signal is back to zero, and I'm in the same old boat again.
    Last edited by cookscake; January 24th, 2010 at 09:14 AM.