Thread: SSH Rejects Password

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool SSH Rejects Password

I have OpenSSH running on my Karmic desktop. ssh localhost works fine. But if I try to ssh into it from a different computer on the same network, it rejects my password every time. What could be causing this?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: SSH Rejects Password

Bump?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kbaum View Post
    I have OpenSSH running on my Karmic desktop. ssh localhost works fine. But if I try to ssh into it from a different computer on the same network, it rejects my password every time. What could be causing this?
    May sound kind of redundant however:

caps lock on?
    sure you're connecting to the right box?
    have you tried connecting in a terminal like
    Code:
    ssh username@IP

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for your response. Caps lock is off, I'm definitely using the right password. The password is all letters and numbers. I've tried connecting from 2 different computers. I'm definitely connecting to the right box, and it responds to ping. I've tried ssh username@IP.

I disabled password login and tried doing it with certificates. ssh localhost used certificates instead of asking for a password, but ssh from a computer on the network still asks for just a password.

Any other ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

Never mind, I figured it out. I had named my machine mythbox, but apparently someone else on my college campus did also, and I was connecting to their machine, not mine. Thanks!