Thread: Samba Error in Nautilus ver 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Samba Error in Nautilus ver 9.10

I am running Ubuntu 9.10. I am trying to make a folder shareable so a windows XP computer can have both read and write access to the folder. I am using Nautilus to configure access and I get the error:
    Samba's testparm returned error 1: Loaded smb config files from --parameter-name=usershare allow guests
    lp_load: refreshing parameters from --parameter-name=usershare allow guests
    params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "--parameter-name=usershare allow guests":
    No such file or directory
    Error loading services.
    This is the screen before selecting read/write access
    Prop1.png

This is the screen after unsuccessfully selecting read/write access.
    Prop2.png

I have attempted this before using this facility and I do have read access to the folder using the windows computer. But I need read/write access.

I've tried to RTFM and look through the forums. The samba service is running:
    kjen@LinuxServer:~$ sudo service samba status
    * nmbd is running
    * smbd is running
    kjen@LinuxServer:~$
    At the command line Samba's testparm command kicked out many errors. This is puzzling because I did not edit the smb.conf file, Nautilus did. The parameters that testparm complains about appear to have correct syntax according to the Samba Team Website .

I also went into the Synaptic package manager and tried to re-install Samba with no effect. I would install the 10.04 LTS version but I've heard that has problems too.

Is this a permissions issue? The user I am logged onto has "permission to configure the system" checked under system-->administration-->users and groups.

Advice? Please.

Beans

Re: Samba Error in Nautilus ver 9.10

Open up synaptic ( package manager ) and make sure the following package is installed:
    Code:
    samba-common-bin

Beans

I'd hardly call manually restarting Nautilus after it has crashed a work-around.
    You could perhaps write a quick script which checks user-space for the existence of the Nautilus process every so many seconds, and starts it again after the process disappears. Again, not a workaround, but would make crash recovery more seamless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sadiepaige01 I'm not sure I understand your reply. I'm not sure how to check or restart the nautilus process.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Morbius1, There appears to be an updating problem. I tried to follow your suggestion and then some and updated all packages having to do with samba. The ones I checked were:
    samba
    samba-doc
    samba-common
    samba-doc-pdf
    samba-dbg
    samba-common-bin
    samba-tools
    libpam-smbpass
    python-smbc
    smbfs
    smbclient
    nautilus-share
    libsmbclient
    libsmbclient-dev
    I then got many messages like this one:
    W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...tu5.3_i386.deb
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.30 80]
    I then tried to update my software and got many error messages one of which was exactly the same as above.

How do I resolve this problem?