Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

[post deleted by author]
    Last edited by zachin2036; October 17th, 2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: new, more informed post below

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by ericbarch View Post
    To anyone stuck trying to get right click working in 10.10, here is what I did. The xorg.conf.d folder changed locations in 10.10 so I created the file:

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-touchpad.conf

I then copied this into the file, saved, and restarted:

Code:
    Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        MatchProduct "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Driver "synaptics"
        Option "JumpyCursorThreshold"  "200"
        Option "EmulateTwoFingerMinZ"  "20"
        Option "EmulateTwoFingerMinW"  "5"
        Option "TapButton2" "3"
        Option "PalmDetect" "on"
    EndSection
    I'm not a huge fan of two finger scrolling and the multi-touch never seems to work quite how I like it, so I used the file above to enable two finger tapping to right click. I then went into the Mouse menu item under System >> Preferences >> Touchpad and selected edge scrolling. Smooth sailing under 10.10 now with right click and edge scrolling!
    Thanks for this solution - and for those having problems copying the file, you'll have to make this file in your Documents folder (for example), then open a terminal, "cd Documents" and do a
    Code:
    sudo cp 11-touchpad.conf /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
    So...that being said - I don't have right-click still. But I do have a double-finger-tap that works as right-click, so it's not 100% bad. Does anyone know if we can mess around with those above variables to get right click back? I would think that "TapButton2" would be the right click - so I changed it from 3 to 2....no change as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

Beans

Hi !

I'm new to Ubuntu community and I really love the Ubuntu OS for netbooks. I've install it on my HP mini 100 and it works like a charm. My best friend wanted to have it, so I did install it on his HP mini 210. But then, no right click.

I'm a newbie to Linux systems and i'm not very good in english... Is this problem solved ? I mean, I saw the solution at page 6 but will it make my right click work ? I don't really care about multi-finger stuff... and i really don't want to go back to Windows 7 scrappy netbook version.

Beans

Hi,

I just installed 10.10 and the path you specified doesn't exist and I can't create a folder. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks John Baptist! Worked great on my HP Mini 210. The trackpad was always troublesome and sporadic for me... two finger scroll, two finger tap, and the hard left/right clicks all work. It's no longer a pain when I forget my wireless mouse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Will there be an update to Maverick that resolves this issue?

I hope so, because, as a few people have mentioned, the HP Mini computers very popular; and clickpads have been out for over a year now, that I know of.

I bought one a couple of months ago. I really don't expect Ubuntu to be flawless out-of-the-box, but until the touchpad is fixed, I don't think it's worth the hassle to install.

The moment its fixed, I'll be on board.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Anybody had this working with Envy 13?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just wanted to say a big THANKS for this thread. I have the HP Mini 2102 which is the business version of the 210 and the touchpad was causing me headaches with MM 10.10.

Still no right click but the config file in post #54 works great. I can now click and drag and while 2 finger click is not natural for me it works.

Awesome support folks.

Beans

Hey All

Just to clarify, there are two issues with the HP 210 Synaptics clickpad here:

1. the driver fails to recognize that it's a multitouch pad, and only ever reports 1 finger;
    2. the driver fails to accommodate the "virtual" right-click that one expects when clicking the pad with a finger over the right button region.

I don't have time to do anything about (1) now, but I've created a .deb for a modified version of the synaptics driver that fixes (2). Unfortunately, since I did this in a rush this afternoon in order to get my new laptop working how I like it, it's not a very neat solution - I've hard-coded a right click if the pad is clicked with the finger in the right-half and bottom-5th of the pad.

I did this because I personally don't like tap-to-click and I didn't find the previous workarounds as acceptable.

Problems with my patch:
    1. the behaviour is hard-coded --- not good --- however, I have very little time and probably won't be able to get it to read from the config variables as it should.
    2. understand that my modifications will produce strange results if you attempt to tap-to-click with finger(s) in the right-click region, or if you attempt to left-click-drag and you happen to stray into the right-click region.

You can download my .deb from:
    http://sites.google.com/site/andyeyr...edirects=0&d=1

Checksum: 8c01c181a5ac95dbfca347a01581f6d1 xserver-xorg-input-synaptics_1.2.2-2ubuntu5eyre1_i386.deb

thanks,
    andy
    Last edited by andyeyre; October 30th, 2010 at 09:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by andyeyre View Post
    Hey All

Just to clarify, there are two issues with the HP 210 Synaptics clickpad here:

1. the driver fails to recognize that it's a multitouch pad, and only ever reports 1 finger;
    2. the driver fails to accommodate the "virtual" right-click that one expects when clicking the pad with a finger over the right button region.

I don't have time to do anything about (1) now, but I've created a .deb for a modified version of the synaptics driver that fixes (2). Unfortunately, since I did this in a rush this afternoon in order to get my new laptop working how I like it, it's not a very neat solution - I've hard-coded a right click if the pad is clicked with the finger in the right-half and bottom-5th of the pad.

I did this because I personally don't like tap-to-click and I didn't find the previous workarounds as acceptable.

Problems with my patch:
    1. the behaviour is hard-coded --- not good --- however, I have very little time and probably won't be able to get it to read from the config variables as it should.
    2. understand that my modifications will produce strange results if you attempt to tap-to-click with finger(s) in the right-click region, or if you attempt to left-click-drag and you happen to stray into the right-click region.

You can download my .deb from:
    http://sites.google.com/site/andyeyr...edirects=0&d=1

Checksum: 8c01c181a5ac95dbfca347a01581f6d1 xserver-xorg-input-synaptics_1.2.2-2ubuntu5eyre1_i386.deb

thanks,
    andy
    Andy,
    Thanks I will give this a try for my 2102 which is the same hardware. This has continued to bother me as well and I keep screwing up with the 2 finger tap.

I have a different work around that I will offer up but I am still going to try your fix. Below is my take at the 11-touchpad.conf that was originally posted in #54 of this thread:

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "touchpad catchall"
    MatchProduct "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "JumpyCursorThreshold" "200"
    Option "EmulateTwoFingerMinZ" "20"
    Option "EmulateTwoFingerMinW" "5"
    Option "TapButton2" "3"
    Option "PalmDetect" "1"
    Option "PalmMinWidth" "20"
    Option "LockedDrags" "1"
    Option "AccelFactor" ".01"
    Option "MaxSpeed" "1.0"
    Option "RBCornerButton" "3"
    EndSection
    The things I added where some fixes to the pointer speed from the default so it behaves more like when I dual boot into Win 7 but the interesting option is the last one "RBCornerButton". With this option if you single tap the very lower right part of the pad / button it will emulate a right click.

Note: You have to tap the extreme lower right corner.

Maybe this will help someone.
    Last edited by VideoRoy; October 31st, 2010 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Wrong value button

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast