Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 312

Thread: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    191
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

    Andy,
    So far this is awesome! Combined with my pointer speed changes the touchpad is down right useable now . This is about my last hardware problem I needed to get fixed.

    I am assuming if there is a update from Ubuntu repsoitories then this fix will be overwritten?

    Very much appreciated!!!

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Beans
    4,300
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

    Quote Originally Posted by VideoRoy View Post
    Andy,
    So far this is awesome! Combined with my pointer speed changes the touchpad is down right useable now . This is about my last hardware problem I needed to get fixed.

    I am assuming if there is a update from Ubuntu repsoitories then this fix will be overwritten?

    Very much appreciated!!!
    That would depend on the version numbering. I would hope that Andy would post the source code of his changes, that way someone else might A) Fix it so the values aren't hardcoded, and/or B) get the fixes into the official repos.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Beans
    4

    Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

    Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    That would depend on the version numbering. I would hope that Andy would post the source code of his changes, that way someone else might A) Fix it so the values aren't hardcoded, and/or B) get the fixes into the official repos.
    Hi. I've posted the source on http://sites.google.com/site/andyeyre/files. The patch is only a couple of lines, (if a click & if in the right-click zone, right-click instead of left). The big problem would be automatically IDing clickpads, but I suppose it could be left to the user to set an option in these circumstances.

    I might get around to it & if so I will submit a patch to the maintainer, but I also want to fix the battery meter which isn't working properly for my laptop either.

    In answer to a prev. question, I've given my .deb a derivative version number (1.2.2-2ubuntu5eyre1) instead of (1.2.2-2ubuntu5). The package manager will consider it newer than 2ubuntu5, but older than 2ubuntu6 or 1.2.3-anything. So it *will* get overwritten when an update comes out, unless you lock the version of the package to 2ubuntu5eyre1. You can do that by going to Synaptic Package Manager, search for "synaptics" in the search box, select the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package, and click on Package Menu -> Lock Version.

    andy

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Beans
    4

    Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

    Quote Originally Posted by VideoRoy View Post
    Andy,
    Thanks I will give this a try for my 2102 which is the same hardware. This has continued to bother me as well and I keep screwing up with the 2 finger tap.

    I have a different work around that I will offer up but I am still going to try your fix. Below is my take at the 11-touchpad.conf that was originally posted in #54 of this thread:



    The things I added where some fixes to the pointer speed from the default so it behaves more like when I dual boot into Win 7 but the interesting option is the last one "RBCornerButton". With this option if you single tap the very lower right part of the pad / button it will emulate a right click.

    Note: You have to tap the extreme lower right corner.

    Maybe this will help someone.
    I should point out that Roy's "Option" "JumpyCursorThreshold" "200" is pretty much necessary to make the clickpad usable (it will do strange things if you so much as think about putting a second finger anywhere near it, without this option set or something similar). It should have been included in the .deb but it wasn't, so you'll each have to make this change by hand, until I build another version.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    191
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

    Quote Originally Posted by andyeyre View Post
    I should point out that Roy's "Option" "JumpyCursorThreshold" "200" is pretty much necessary to make the clickpad usable (it will do strange things if you so much as think about putting a second finger anywhere near it, without this option set or something similar). It should have been included in the .deb but it wasn't, so you'll each have to make this change by hand, until I build another version.
    Yeah, someone else mentioned this and it was the only way to get it somewhat stable. I tried a bunch of values but keep going back to 200.

    The only problems I have left with touchpad after Andy's fix is Left click and drag or highlight text. Still unuseable since it looks like the driver is confused over 2 fingers. I know it is possible because it works on the Windows side. Also I have not found the magic on the palm detect since it keeps taking that as a click but to be fair I have that problem in Windows and have never been able to fine tune it.

    Off topic:
    Same problem here on the battery of course but my work around there is right click battery icon ---> click "Laptop Battery (estimating)" ---> Details tab and scroll down. Percentage is near the bottom. Not great, but it works for now. The battery graphic is pretty accurate for my 6 cell battery though.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    191
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

    Sorry to keep updating but I think I fixed the click drag / highlight problem.

    After applying Andy's patch I commented out these 2 lines from the original fix:

    #Option "EmulateTwoFingerMinZ" "20"
    #Option "EmulateTwoFingerMinW" "5"

    then checking synclient after a reboot the values went back to their defaults of:

    EmulateTwoFingerMinZ" = 280
    EmulateTwoFingerMinW" = 7

    Now I am able to Left click, drag or highlight as you would expect. I can do it with one or 2 hands which is great for me since I have some mobility problems in my fingers.

    Also to give a little more detail on why I put in these options:
    Option "AccelFactor" ".01"
    Option "MaxSpeed" "1.0"

    With these values through trial / error, pointer movement is much smoother for me and I can pan horizontally across the whole width without having to lift my finger and start again (does not run out of track pad space). The Accel solved some of it but I needed the Max Speed to be faster because it was taking me 3 touches to even move the pointer slowly vertically.

    Good luck.
    Last edited by VideoRoy; October 31st, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Beans
    4

    Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

    Quote Originally Posted by VideoRoy View Post
    Off topic:
    Same problem here on the battery of course but my work around there is right click battery icon ---> click "Laptop Battery (estimating)" ---> Details tab and scroll down. Percentage is near the bottom. Not great, but it works for now. The battery graphic is pretty accurate for my 6 cell battery though.
    Hey VideoRoy, I coded up a fix for the battery "estimating" problem. Turns out there was a bug in the upower package that provides information on battery runtime, amongst other things.

    You can download a patched .deb of upower here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/andyey...edirects=0&d=1

    (source there also) - with the patched upower, the battery runtime and charge times are reported to within ballpark accurate times, which I guess is as good as any battery gauge gets.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    191
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

    Quote Originally Posted by andyeyre View Post
    Hey VideoRoy, I coded up a fix for the battery "estimating" problem. Turns out there was a bug in the upower package that provides information on battery runtime, amongst other things.

    You can download a patched .deb of upower here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/andyey...edirects=0&d=1

    (source there also) - with the patched upower, the battery runtime and charge times are reported to within ballpark accurate times, which I guess is as good as any battery gauge gets.
    It works! I will keep an eye on it tonight to see how it tracks.

    Thanks very much!

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Beans
    2

    Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

    I have followed the instructions in post 6 to get my left and right buttons to work:
    Code:
    sudo su
    Code:
    echo options psmouse proto=exps > /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe
    Code:
    reboot
    Next I put the "11-touchpad.conf" file found on page 6 of this thread in to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (while running as root) and ran the command:

    gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/scroll_method 2 --type int

    I am running ubuntu 10.10 and I still cannot use the two finger scrolling on my HP mini 210.

    Does anyone know what can be done to fix this? Is it necessary to undo the first set of commands I followed? If so how can this be done?

    Thanks!

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    191
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

    Quote Originally Posted by spopa2 View Post
    I have followed the instructions in post 6 to get my left and right buttons to work:
    Code:
    sudo su
    Code:
    echo options psmouse proto=exps > /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe
    Code:
    reboot
    Next I put the "11-touchpad.conf" file found on page 6 of this thread in to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (while running as root) and ran the command:

    gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/scroll_method 2 --type int

    I am running ubuntu 10.10 and I still cannot use the two finger scrolling on my HP mini 210.

    Does anyone know what can be done to fix this? Is it necessary to undo the first set of commands I followed? If so how can this be done?

    Thanks!
    Sorry I did not do those steps. I just edited the 11-touchpad.conf and loaded Andy's patch and rebooted. Did not run anything else.

    I would say undo if you can and just load Andy's patch. You might want to check out my last post as well with a few tweaks to the 11-touchpad.conf. I have to say my setup is working perfectly except for my big fat palms hitting the touchpad.

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •