Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connected to wireless, can't browse internet, please help!

Beans

Connected to wireless, can't browse internet, please help!

Hi!

Pretty new to Ubuntu (and this forum), so bear with me. I looked around and saw people with similar problems, but none that quite describe my situation.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 and having problems browsing the internet. I have wireless, and can access the network at my apartment complex via secure passcode (network manager icon shows bars, says connected), but for some reason can't browse web pages in Firefox. Additionally, I can ping IP addresses but can't ping web addresses. I've tried to check to see if I'm behind a firewall or something, but can't figure that out.

A few more things that might be significant: I know other people in the building who are running Windows OS and able to connect to the internet, although they initially had the same problem as me, and were able to reconfigure some part of their wireless setup to fix it. Also, I never have the above problem in other places with other wireless networks; i can connect and browse just fine.

I'm pretty computer illiterate, so please excuse me if some of this isn't as specific as it could be. This problem is really driving me crazy, any help anyone could provide would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Connected to wireless, can't browse internet, please help!

In your terminal do a

Code:
    dig google.com
    and paste the results here.

Also paste the contents of your /etc/resolv.conf file.
    Last edited by sefs; January 22nd, 2010 at 07:03 PM.

Beans

After running the dig google.com command, i got this (couldn't directly copy and paste):

Warning: query response not set

DiG 9.5.1 -P2 <<>> google.com
    global options: print cmd
    Got answer:
    -->>HEADER<<-- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 15022
    flags: aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

WARNING: recursion requested but not available

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my /etc/resolv.conf file, there's a folder titled "update-libc.d", and in that folder there's an executable text file called "avahi-daemon". I tried executing the daemon but it didn't seem to do any good.

Beans

Sorry about using this in a reply, but I can't find the way to make a direct post.

I am very new to Linux. I installed Ubuntu 8.0.4 and got the basics working. I can connect via wire to my US Robotics MaxG router, but when I try to connect via wireless, I get the message "Network Manager Applet wants access to the default keyring, but it is locked". It is asking for a password, but I have no idea what that should be. I don't know how to get the keyring unlocked. The system recognizes the wireless Router, but I can't access it. I can access with other devices (Vista, XP, Mac, Itouch, etc.), but not Ubuntu.

My wireless does pickup and connect through a neighbor's system, but I need to get my own access.

What can I do to get access? I tried modifying /etc/pam.d/gdm by appending a line "@include common-pamkeyring", but that has no effect.

How do I get the system to logon and automatically connect via my wireless router? Or even how do I unlock the keyring, or how do I find this mysterious password?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by clayk View Post
    In my /etc/resolv.conf file, there's a folder titled "update-libc.d", and in that folder there's an executable text file called "avahi-daemon". I tried executing the daemon but it didn't seem to do any good.
    Not the resolvconf folder but the file named resolv.conf

Beans

How do I find that?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TranDog View Post
    Sorry about using this in a reply, but I can't find the way to make a direct post.

I am very new to Linux. I installed Ubuntu 8.0.4 and got the basics working. I can connect via wire to my US Robotics MaxG router, but when I try to connect via wireless, I get the message "Network Manager Applet wants access to the default keyring, but it is locked". It is asking for a password, but I have no idea what that should be. I don't know how to get the keyring unlocked. The system recognizes the wireless Router, but I can't access it. I can access with other devices (Vista, XP, Mac, Itouch, etc.), but not Ubuntu.

My wireless does pickup and connect through a neighbor's system, but I need to get my own access.

What can I do to get access? I tried modifying /etc/pam.d/gdm by appending a line "@include common-pamkeyring", but that has no effect.

How do I get the system to logon and automatically connect via my wireless router? Or even how do I unlock the keyring, or how do I find this mysterious password?
    Were you previously asked to setup a password for the keyring? Perhaps it's your user password or just blank?

Beans
    Distro

How do I find that?
    Go into the terminal and type "cat /etc/resolv.conf" and post the output here.

Beans

After cat /etc/resolv.conf command:

# Generated by NetworkManager

nameserver 192.168.1.1
    nameserver 192.168.2.1

Beans
    Distro

After cat /etc/resolv.conf command:

# Generated by NetworkManager

nameserver 192.168.1.1
    nameserver 192.168.2.1
    OK so do you know if these are the DNS servers that you should be using? Also, can you ping these servers?

Try these:
    dig @192.168.1.1 google.com
    dig @192.168.2.1 google.com
    dig @8.8.8.8 google.com

Any different output that the original dig command you ran?

You said you could ping ip addresses, were these internet IPs? For example can you ping 4.2.2.2 ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast