Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't boot after upgrade - freezes after udev warnings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't boot after upgrade - freezes after udev warnings

if you are wireless and can get a cat5 cable to that box try chrooting and updating again wired . also check the /etc/apt/sources.list it it's so broken you can't even get to a recovery console no telling what is borked .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans

Interesting. In my (dead) lucid system, there is no /etc/resolv.conf. In fact, the whole structure of /etc/resolvconf.d is different. Which means that either lucid is doing things differently, or the upgrade didn't work properly, in which case more than resolv.conf is likely messed up.

OK, I just copied over the resolv.conf, and now the repos are connecting. But I'll bet what is wrong is the upgrade didn't go through right, thereby clobbering the whole thing. Will hack at this further. But this is progress, at least in understanding what went wrong.
    Last edited by doctordruidphd; January 23rd, 2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: clarification

Beans

My resolv.conf are pretty identical. Could be you are badly corrupted.

Have you run;
    Code:
    dpkg --configure -a
    That doesn't have the sudo as I assume a chroot environment. It may help and should at least give you some useful messages.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

dpkg --configure -a
    Yes. During the upgrade, which I did from within the system, there were several abort points which needed 'dpkg -i --force-overwrite packagename', and there were several 'apt-get install -f', 'dpkg --configure -a' and 'apt-get dist-upgrade' commands needed, all sudo. At the end of about 2 hours of this, install -f and --configure both came out clean. I suspect, though, that it didn't really go all that well. I just checked and noticed, for example, that in /etc/init, there were no mountall.conf files, so I did a 'dpkg-reconfigure mountall', and lo! they suddenly appeared there.

Beans

Might be a good idea to do that to all the "x" stuff too.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Yeah. I think the problem is before x, though. I guess it's gonna be step-by-step through the files.
    Oh well, I wasn't planning anything for the next week or so...

Beans

There's a bug in Lucid - everything in /etc/fstab must by mountable during boot.

I had the same problem after new installation of Lucid Lynx 64 RC.
    Everything was OK until I added my own mounting point to /etc/fstab. After this
    boot up freezed before mounting partitions (mountall), that's why threre's no log written to the system. Check your /etc/fstab. If any of the mount points failed to mount during boot, booting freeze !

Beans

There's a bug in Lucid - everything in /etc/fstab must by mountable during boot.
    Yes, that's the problem. I forgot to mark this thread "solved", which I will do now. I had entries in fstab for several usb drives, so they would mount properly when inserted. That doesn't work in Lucid; I changed them to "noauto", and it boots fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12