Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't boot after upgrade - freezes after udev warnings

Beans

[solved] Can't boot after upgrade - freezes after udev warnings

I am trying to upgrade a karmic system to lucid. I had it working in the past, but on or about Jan 8th, an upgrade to lucid killed the system. It would no longer boot, freezing after the udev warnings in the boot process. I have re-done the upgrade several times since then, and it always fails at the same point. There are a few errors during the upgrade, requiring --force-overwrites, but in the end, everything seems to go through properly. No logs are being written to the system, suggesting that the file system is not being mounted. I tried the upgrade again last night, and ran update-initramfs after the upgrade just to make sure it worked, and it ran without errors.
    I am not sure exactly what is failing, maybe mountall, but since there is no log file being written, it's pretty hard to trace. Any ideas on this?

Note: I can access the file system from karmic, so that much is intact.

Edit: I should mention that this is actually kubuntu, on a 64-bit quad core system.
    Last edited by doctordruidphd; April 29th, 2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't boot after upgrade - freezes after udev warnings

Quote Originally Posted by doctordruidphd View Post
    I am trying to upgrade a karmic system to lucid. I had it working in the past, but on or about Jan 8th, an upgrade to lucid killed the system. It would no longer boot, freezing after the udev warnings in the boot process. I have re-done the upgrade several times since then, and it always fails at the same point. There are a few errors during the upgrade, requiring --force-overwrites, but in the end, everything seems to go through properly. No logs are being written to the system, suggesting that the file system is not being mounted. I tried the upgrade again last night, and ran update-initramfs after the upgrade just to make sure it worked, and it ran without errors.
    I am not sure exactly what is failing, maybe mountall, but since there is no log file being written, it's pretty hard to trace. Any ideas on this?

Note: I can access the file system from karmic, so that much is intact.

Edit: I should mention that this is actually kubuntu, on a 64-bit quad core system.
    If you're dual booting with a stable karmic install and attemting to test lucid I would suggest you download the alpha2 livecd and install from that.

Beans

If you're dual booting with a stable karmic install and attemting to test lucid I would suggest you download the alpha2 livecd and install from that.
    Not possible. For one thing, none of the live cd's since 8.10 will work on this system. Thanks for the suggestion, but I really don't want to get sidetracked on that issue. I need to figure out why the system won't boot, and what to do about it. It did work fine, up until Jan 8th, so there is a problem that needs attention.

Beans
    Distro

Not possible. For one thing, none of the live cd's since 8.10 will work on this system. Thanks for the suggestion, but I really don't want to get sidetracked on that issue. I need to figure out why the system won't boot, and what to do about it. It did work fine, up until Jan 8th, so there is a problem that needs attention.
    Ok.

I seem to vaguely remember the udev thing a while back. If you search this forum for udev you might track the fix down.

Beans

Keep the bugger updated.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro

Not possible. For one thing, none of the live cd's since 8.10 will work on this system.
    mabye what you need to do first is track down why livecd's since 8.10 won't work on your sys . I am running an AMD dual core sys and except for the normal occasional glitches with alphas and daily's haven't had a problem with them .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    Keep the bugger updated.
    I'd really like to, but if it won't boot...

I should add that I cannot boot into a text console at all. Not on either normal boot or recovery mode. The problem persists even if I boot an older kernel; I suspect the kernel itself is alive, as CTRL-ALT-DEL and ALT-SYSRQ-REISUB work as expected.

I seem to vaguely remember the udev thing a while back. If you search this forum for udev you might track the fix down.
    Thanks again for the suggestion. I'll keep searching, but so far I haven't found a thread where the system would not boot. What I suspect is that the file system won't mount (it fsck's OK from another system), but then again, why no busybox error to that effect?

Beans

You have another OS right nest door. Chroot into the bugger and update it.

My test platform has 7 versions of 10.04 including Lubuntu. I am on my daytime production OS on that drive right now. As I have boinc running I do not like to leave here when I don't have to.

I have a script (thanks philinux) to get into all of them. That is how I do all the updates and upgrading.

It is a lot easier if your partitions are labeled. Use gparted from your LiveCD to do that. Then just modify this to fit your drive;
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

sudo mkdir /mnt/Mini-root
    sudo mount /dev/sda15 /mnt/Mini-root/
    sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/Mini-root/proc
    sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/Mini-root/dev
    sudo mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/Mini-root/dev/pts
    sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/Mini-root/sys
    sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/Mini-root/etc/resolve.conf
    sudo chroot /mnt/Mini-root /bin/bash

fi
    Save that in a gedit file and mark the permissions to make it executable. After the first use you will need to comment out the first line (add # and a space in front of it).
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

sudo mkdir /mnt/Mini-root
    sudo mount /dev/sda15 /mnt/Mini-root/
    sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/Mini-root/proc
    sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/Mini-root/dev
    sudo mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/Mini-root/dev/pts
    sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/Mini-root/sys
    sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/Mini-root/etc/resolve.conf
    sudo chroot /mnt/Mini-root /bin/bash
    Thanks for that script!
    I modified it appropriately, and from my karmic working system into my testing system with the kde-4.4 beta upgrade, it works beautifully. However, for the broken lucid system, when I try an apt-get update, I get a swarm of errors about not being able to connect to anything. So I take it the system is major broken.
    Everything is backed up, I can wipe the lucid system and do the upgrade again, but so far three attempts have led to the same result. Still banging away at it...

Beans

Ah, if it was not connecting to the repos take a look at your (9.10) /etc/resolv.conf (that is spelled right). It should look something like;
    # Generated by NetworkManager
    nameserver 10.0.0.2
    Then look at the one in 10.04. I bet it doesn't look like that. Assuming that your 9.01 does, just copy/paste the bugger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast