Thread: System76 box built for/sold with XBMC?

Beans
    Hidden!

Question System76 box built for/sold with XBMC?

Many of you guys know XBMC has been using Ubuntu as their base for a while now. Their forums is filled with how-tos on how to get a minimal system going on various ASUS, ASRock and other small boxes.

Also with the new Boxee box coming out there's talk of hacking it to run XBMC. I can't help but think it would rock if someone came out with a box running XBMC's minimal system OTB.

Would be awesome if System76 could do this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: System76 box built for/sold with XBMC?

That's definitely on our radar.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

that would be awesome do it thom !!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    That's definitely on our radar.
    Great to hear. Couple of thoughts.

The stated MSRP for the Boxee box is ~$200. I understand that can be hard to hit for smaller shops like System76. Are you guys trying for a similar pricepoint?

The remote/keyboard is one thing that has also got alot of attention. Any plans to do something like it?

My hope is that System76 and XBMC can partner and create just as stunning a unit for the masses. Personally, I don't want to have to hack the Boxee box and would like to support System76 and XBMC directly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of information on price points -- or for how far they are in the process. I'll send this link to the appropriate folks, though.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of information on price points -- or for how far they are in the process. I'll send this link to the appropriate folks, though.
    Sure sure. Don't mean to put you on the spot.

A partnership with System76/XBMC would rock.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hack the boxee box for what?... regular applications?

ive had a desktop set-up with a big screen before... not as glorious as one would think. Great for media though

the boxee box is suppose to be very friendly to that type of thing any way. If there is a usb port on it, im sure getting what you want will almost be as easy as cutting warm butter. (or cold butter in my experience w/ live usbs)

the remote is being sold individually.

unfortunately the major obstacle for competing vendors is price point.

For example, Ive been trying to get my mom to kick the cable in order to save some money. Do i get her a $200 boxee or a $350 meerkat? (she doesn't really care about all the cool extras i could set up on the meerkat)

the other angle to this would probably be more promising to s76 since they cater a enthusiast crowd would be a inexpensive server (thinclint addon to a desktop) that would deliver this type of boxee/xmbc experience to any of the devices in your house. That would be a little more involved then vending and support though.

It will be interesting to see how these type of devices turn out in the coming couple of years
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by miniyak
    Hack the boxee box for what?... regular applications?
    To run XBMC. As of now, nobody knows how or if it will be locked down.
    ive had a desktop set-up with a big screen before... not as glorious as one would think. Great for media though
    Then, with much respect, I'd say you are in the minority. XBMC+MASSIVE amount of media+55' plasma=Joy.
    the boxee box is suppose to be very friendly to that type of thing any way. If there is a usb port on it, im sure getting what you want will almost be as easy as cutting warm butter. (or cold butter in my experience w/ live usbs)

the remote is being sold individually.

unfortunately the major obstacle for competing vendors is price point.

For example, Ive been trying to get my mom to kick the cable in order to save some money. Do i get her a $200 boxee or a $350 meerkat? (she doesn't really care about all the cool extras i could set up on the meerkat)

the other angle to this would probably be more promising to s76 since they cater a enthusiast crowd would be a inexpensive server (thinclint addon to a desktop) that would deliver this type of boxee/xmbc experience to any of the devices in your house. That would be a little more involved then vending and support though.

It will be interesting to see how these type of devices turn out in the coming couple of years
    For now, even the Boxee box is catering to enthusiasts. As were computers.

In any event, ~$300 and with similar options I'd support System76.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

the boxee box will be open

see here- http://revision3.com/hak5/ces2010-part1#rev3Player
    segment 2 is an interview with a boxee rep. at CES. Summery is that not only will the box be open, they will try to support the community wanting to do other things w/ the device.

plain xmbc is probably the first thing in mind.

I'm sure xmbc is great on a big screen, no doubt about it. I'm just saying out experience, that web browsing, word processing ect is not really cracked up for the 6 foot interface.
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by miniyak View Post
    the boxee box will be open

see here- http://revision3.com/hak5/ces2010-part1#rev3Player
    segment 2 is an interview with a boxee rep. at CES. Summery is that not only will the box be open, they will try to support the community wanting to do other things w/ the device.

plain xmbc is probably the first thing in mind.
    Thanx for the link. After watching the vid, I'd have to say XBMC will be on the Boxee box the day it's released.

Having said that, I'd still like to see what System76 could also do.