Thread: [starling, karmic, upgrade] wireless fails on star1 after jaunty -> karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Exclamation [starling, karmic, upgrade] wireless fails on star1 after jaunty -> karmic

I have a nearly-new Starling with minimal customization. (It came with a DVD, and I switched my desktop from UNR mode to "Classic Ubuntu"--that's about it.) I just upgraded from jaunty to karmic using Update Manager per the wiki directions. I was able to login as me, and see System76 driver version=2.4.4 per System>Administration>System76 Driver>About. However in jaunty I had wireless networking and now I do not. With ethernet cable attached (which I'm using now),

• I can nslookup (and browse the web, etc)
    • Network Manager is barely visible in the panel. When I click on it, the menu items are
      Code:
      Wired Network [in bold]
        device not managed [greyed out]
      --------------------
        VPN Connections  >

But without CAT5 attached
    • I get same Network Manager appearance and behavior
    • nslookup fails

What's the fix?

Beans
    Distro

Re: [starling, karmic, upgrade] wireless fails on star1 after jaunty -> karmic

Quote Originally Posted by tlroche View Post
    Network Manager is barely visible in the panel.
    The NM UI problem appears to be desktop-related. While in jaunty, I had used desktop-switcher, and was running from "Classic Ubuntu" mode when I ran Update Manager. In karmic, I retain the Classic desktop though desktop-switcher and the associated UI elements seem to have disappeared. In karmic Classic the NM panel icon appears greyed-out and is difficult to resolve. However when my girlfriend logs in, she gets the UNR desktop, and sees NM in the panel in all its glory ... except for a big red X, even though the box is on the wire, which is working. Furthermore, clicking on the NM panel icon gives the same behavior in UNR as in Classic:

When I click on it, the menu items are
    Code:
    Wired Network [in bold]
      device not managed [greyed out]
    --------------------
      VPN Connections  >
    [/LIST]
    Unfortunately the lack of wireless networking is not desktop-related.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

First, run all System updates. Then reboot.

Second, download and install the 2.4.4 version of the driver from...
    http://planet76.com/repositories
    ...It will be the second link from the bottom.

Third, go the the System76 Driver and click the Restore tab and the Restore button. Then reboot your computer.

EDIT: That's interesting. 9.10 doesn't have the classic desktop mode anymore. They did away with it. So, it must have retained it from your 9.04 install. Clever.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    First, run all System updates.
    Done.

Then reboot.
    Done.

Second, download and install the 2.4.4 version of the driver from... http://planet76.com/repositories
    Done:
    Code:
    URI="http://planet76.com/repositories/system76-driver-2.4.4.deb"
    FN="$(basename ${URI})"
    FP="/tmp/${FN}"
    wget -O ${FP} ${URI}
    sudo dpkg -i ${FP}
    Third, go the the System76 Driver and click the Restore tab and the Restore button.
    Attempted. I tried running Restore last night ~6pm, logged in as me (the user with Classic Ubuntu). Restore was still running (i.e. the dialog=Restoring was up, with "Factory settings are being restored") when I got up this morning, so I killed it, restarted, logged in as my girlfriend (who has UNR mode), and reran Restore. It was still running when I got home this evening, so I killed it.

Is there something else I need to do to make Restore work?

Just now I burned a UNR 9.10 CD and was able to boot that using the USB DVD drive. Interestingly, the wireless works when I boot that.

Beans
    Distro

Just now I burned a UNR 9.10 CD and was able to boot that using the USB DVD drive. Interestingly, the wireless works when I boot that.
    So I just installed from that:

• backed up /home
    • installed from CD, using "Erase and use the entire disk": restarted with wireless working!
    • installed System76 driver: downloaded, then System>Administration>System76 Driver>Install Drivers>Install
    • restarted: showed "no network connection", and Network Manager showed no available connections, until I fiddled with the hardware WiFi/3G switch and restarted, then wireless was happy again.
    • recreated users

I'll restore /home as soon as I can get GF off the box. Meanwhile, karmic seems to be working.